Campus Cutie: Kyung Mi Bae

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Name: Kyung Mi Bae
Hometown: Park Ridge, NJ
Major: History & Planning and Public Policy
Minor: Environmental Science
Year: Class of 2018
Relationship Status: Single

What are 3 words you’d use to describe yourself?
Christian, weird, and awesome

What are some things you’re involved in at Rutgers?
Students for Environmental Awareness, and I’m currently trying to get dining halls to stop using styrofoam and getting dining halls to use reusable containers and water bottles instead. I’m also involved with “Feed the Few,” which is affiliated with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. We get together to feed homeless people and talk to them as if they are just people, not different from anyone else you might meet on the street. I love it because you learn everyone’s stories. They are a lot are nicer than you’d think.

What motivates you?
As far as helping the homeless, my faith  convicts me that people are valuable and that you shouldn’t ignore the marginalized. Generally, I am motivated by my family. They definitely help motivate me to be better and do better. My friends also motivate me by making me want to accomplish something and make most of life.

What do you do to relax?
Definitely, watching movies and TV shows (esp. Gossip Girl!!!). I also like to hang with friends, go for a walk, read a book or do something stupid, like making my friends jump over chairs

Who would you say is your role model?
I draw inspiration from Theodore Roosevelt. He’s so amazing. If you ever read about his life, he overcame all of his weaknesses. He exercised so much he got rid of his severe asthma, which is strange. I didn’t even know that was possible. He got shot but it didn’t go in because his muscles were so big. He also implemented a lot of good and smart policies. I’d say he was the first president since Lincoln to really reform America. He also worked to bust all the corrupt trusts, which made a lasting impact on the U.S.

What would you like to be remembered for?
This is going to sound so Christian, but for loving a lot of people. and doing the will of God.

What is your favorite thing about RU?
The people, definitely. There are so many people with different backgrounds and lives. It is so cool to meet different people because i come from a small town where everyone is same. It is cool to see drastically wide ranges of people.

What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever done?
Play in quicksand on an island in South Korea. It wasn’t deadly, but very mild. People were jumping in and out so I just joined. When I jumped in, I went down to my waist and then climbed out. A little afterward, the lifeguards came and told us to get out. I was 13.

What is one thing you’ve always wanted to do?
Wingsuit Flying! It’s one of my life goals because I always wanted to fly.

What mark do you want to make on Rutgers?
Banning styrofoam and getting reusable containers for take out because it’s just so wasteful.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
You’re awesome. Don’t worry about trying to fit in, and don’t worry about school so much. Go out and have more fun. I definitely wish I knew there were so many opportunities for young people and i wish i applied for more things because there’s so many things out there. Apply for national programs, just join a random club, do really cool stuff.

Shannon is a sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in both Economics and Ancient History. She is from the Jersey Shore area and loves taking pictures, keeping Latin alive, and hanging out with friends.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.