Advice Of The Week: Cuffin’ Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The summer’s almost over and that can only mean one thing ladies: it’s cuffin’ season. That’s right, love is in the air so you can say bye to your best friends because between monthaversaries and late night movie dates, your best girlfriends (or you) are likely to be VERY preoccupied. Some girls love the opportunity to be in a relationship around this time. Think about it! Getting involved after summer break is the perfect time to get into a serious enough relationship for stability during the school year. Not only do you have somebody you can depend on as a date to all upcoming social events, but you also get all of the benefits of being with someone during the holidays. A little shallow, but hey an expensive gift never hurt anyone, right? And if you’re not in a relationship you need to take all of this into consideration next time you get mad at one of your friends for “ditching” you for her guy (or gal). So if you’re not cuffed this season–don’t fret!

I’ve got some some advice that will keep you preoccupied and calm as you wait for the storm of cuffin’ season to pass.

1. Don’t get mad. We all know you want to pummel your BFF out because she bailed AGAIN on your date to watch the latest lame Nicholas Sparks movie, but don’t. Instead, find something else to do with somebody else.

2. Be productive. Now you know that you have SOMETHING that you have to take care of. Whether its a homework assignment that you should catch up on or a call to your mother that you’ve been avoiding, now’s the time to take care of yourself. It’s not the end of the world just because your bestie needs an appointment book these days – so don’t let her see you sweat. If you stay busy you won’t think about it as much.

3. Don’t jump when she says jump. When your best friend seems to be unavailable it’s easy to want to jump on the chance to chill with her. But don’t do that. You need to make them realize that your world doesn’t revolve around them and if they aren’t going to make special time for you, you are not going to be sitting around waiting on their schedule.

4. Wait it out. This is the most important thing. Friendships are broken over relationships but that should never be the case. Your girl will come around eventually and most likely expect you to be that shoulder to cry on. And you should be there for her because one day the tables may be turned and you may need a friend to be understanding of your absence from her life.

So there you have it – your guide on how to deal with cuffin’ season. If you’re the one who’s cuffed, be aware of how much you’re putting into your relationship and how it might affect friends who depend on you for day to day gossip and advice. Don’t be scared to tell your boyfriends, “Hey, I have other obligations that do not include you”. But at the same time, if you’re a victim of having a cuffed friend, be patient and understanding. One day you’ll be in a relationship, too. Good luck!

On October 22, 1992 ... a star was born! Or something like that anyway. Regardless, I give great advice! Every girl-friend's personal (and unpaid) therapist, I am here to assist you in finding solutions your every day woes. I am a 20 year old senior at Rutgers and I have been through the ringer! But I use my own personal experiences (both good and bad) to advise the masses.
Latina Journalista