6 Tips to Overcoming Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Have you caught yourself staring out the window recently, longing to be outside in the bizarrely warm February weather when you should be studying for next week’s midterm, writing tomorrow’s paper, or completing last week’s reading?

Don’t worry—you’re not alone.  Unfortunately, midterm and warm-weather season seem to overlap on the spring semester timeline, which means it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused on schoolwork.  While all college students tend to stumble down the path to procrastination nation—a world in which power status is exclusively determined by the speed at which one can binge watch an entire series on Netflix —it is important to concentrate on finishing the academic year strong and concentrating your efforts on your studies.

These six tips will help you maintain focus, avoid (or at least minimize) procrastination, and finally cross off that 12-page paper from your to-do list!

1. Schedule a study time.

Committing to getting work done will be easier if you allocate your study start and end time beforehand.  If you find yourself getting distracted during your study time, remind yourself that you’re only prolonging the process!

2. Clear your workspace.

It is difficult to work in a messy environment without getting distracted when all that stuff is crowding your work area.  (Yes, this also means turning off your phone and/or putting it away.)

3. Go to the library.

Sometimes it’s hard to study in your dorm, apartment, or house because being comfortable is too accessible.  It’s easy to get up from your desk and head to your living room, bed, or kitchen.  When you’re in the library, however, the social expectation is that you will remain sitting down and studying.  (Although it isn’t an uncommon sight to find exhausted college students slumped over their desks in the library…)

4. Eat before you study. 

You won’t focus as well on your assignment if all you can think about is your next meal.  Avoid this distraction by eating a substantial meal before you begin your study session in order to ensure you have energy and drive to complete your work.

5. Write a list. 

There is something satisfying about crossing items off a to-do list. A list not only serves as a reminder of the different tasks you have to complete, but also provides a measure of productivity.  Feelings of accomplishment will boost your drive to stay focused!

6. Reward yourself and relax. 

Believe it or not, life is not all about study sessions and to-do lists!  Taking breaks is important in order to avoid burning yourself out.  So, it’s okay to spend time watching Netflix and hanging out with friends—even if it sometimes is a form of procrastination!  Just don’t let it get out of hand!