This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

5 Reasons to Love Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey is an American professional wrestler with WWE and former mixed martial artist and judoka who managed to steal the heart of America back in 2015 when she won twelve consecutive MMA fights, eleven of those fights won in the first round. She was the first American woman in the Olympics to obtain a medal (bronze) in judo and is the former UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion and the last Strikeforce Women’s Bantamweight Champion. Rousey’s success as an athlete proves that women are capable of being strong without having to sacrifice grace or femininity. If that wasn’t enough, here are five reasons that will make you love her more!

1. She’s a total nerd! She enjoys sitting back and watching History Channel’s Ancient Aliens and HBO’s Game of Thrones, and is a very big fan of Pokemon, Mario Kart, Dragon Ball Z, and World of Warcraft. Rousey has beat every single Pokemon game (her favorite pokemon is Mew) that has ever come out and World of Warcraft is currently her favorite game. Her favorite character, Princess Katana, is from the iconic and legendary Mortal Kombat series. She also has a crush on Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z.

2. She acts! Ronda Rousey has had both prominent and minor roles in movies, such as The Expendables 3, Furious 7, and Entourage.

3. She loves coffee! She loves it so much that her nutritionist actually worked all the coffee that she consumes into her diet. Every morning, Rousey uses a French Press to make her coffee, adding grass-fed butter, raw coconut oil, and stevia, which is then blended up and sprinkled with cinnamon. 

4. Rousey has battled eating disorders and has opened up about her struggle with them. When she was younger, she frequently competed in low weight Judo competitions which eventually led to her developing an eating disorder in order to maintain her low weight. She opens up about this struggle in her autobiography, where she discusses the guilt that she often felt during these years and how she has grown and healed since then.

5. Rousey was a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model. While preparing for the shoot, she made no changes to her diet. She was 150 lbs when shooting for the magazine, which she praised for becoming more inclusive and welcoming towards women of different shapes and sizes.

Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).