Why it’s Okay to Jump into a Relationship Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Coming into college after a long relationship and a breakup, the last thing on my mind was being in a relationship. I told myself that I would truly focus on school and make sure I got a great GPA and make new friends. Little did I know that not even three days into classes I would meet the most amazing guy to enter my hectic life.

There’s a lot of negative connotation when it comes to early relationships because no one understands why you would get into a relationship so quickly. Many people believe that getting into a relationship quickly leads to a quick end because you don’t truly know the person; but that’s not necessarily true. Relationships are tricky, but in order for them to work both people need to put effort into it and then it won’t be about how much time you got to know each other. Fast start relationships can actually be pretty great.

Mystery:

Starting off a relationship quickly gives it a sense of mystery. You don’t know a person too well, but that just gives you so much more time to get to know them. When you date someone that you’ve known forever, you don’t get to experience 2a.m. conversations about your life. 

Stories:

Getting to hear all their stories about high school and friends back home can be super exciting and funny. You get to get a feel about who they are and who they used to be through all the stories they’ll tell you at random times. It’s even funnier when you go somewhere that reminds them of a story, like when you go to McDonald’s and you tell them about the time you broke your nose there when you were four.

It’s Fun:

New relationships are a lot of fun; you realize that pretty much everything they do makes you laugh. From singing in the car to new inside jokes, there’s never a dull moment. Let’s not forget when Miley Cyrus proved that in “The Last Song.”

Simplicity:

In general, college relationships are simple. With piling debt and little spending money, this is not the time to ask your significant other for a Prada bag or a Michael Kors watch. In these relationships there’s no need to even go out to somewhere super fancy all the time because what you really want is someone to just be there to hang out with.

A Best Friend:

It goes without saying that the best relationships are when you fall in love with your best friend. Having a definite one right off the bat in college is great. And as Jason Mraz said, “I’m lucky I’m in love with my best friend.”

Getting into a relationship coming into college is not “one of the biggest mistakes a freshman could make.” New relationships change you and help you grow. I can easily say that entering my relationship a month into college with a guy I knew for about 3 weeks was one of the better choices I’ve made in college. Let yourself be happy without regard to what other people think about your relationship–it’s yours. 

Hi! I'm a freshman at Rowan University and am a double major in history and political science with a minor in Spanish. I'm a cupcake enthusiast and a wanderer, I love to write and travel. Once I broke my nose by slipping on ice cream in McDonald's and haven't been able to go back ever since. My favorite movies include Across the Universe, Sandlot, and basically every Disney movie ever made. I live by, "What Would Blair Waldorf Do?"
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.