Stages you Experience when You’re Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.
First off, let’s be clear in what “Valentine’s Day” entails. No, these stages are not experienced ONLY on February 14th, they are experienced in the days – and sometimes weeks – prior to the big day.

Stage 1: Denial. 
You will tell anyone who listens that Valentine’s Day is a Hallmark holiday, designed to increase sales during the month of February because there are no real holidays during this time of the year. (You conveniently forget President’s Day).

Stage 2: Anger.
February 14th should REALLY be called Single Awareness Day. Whose brilliant idea was this anyway? No one loves you :( 

Stage 3: Exaggeration.
 Suddenly, it seems like every person, animal and rock in the world is in a committed relationship, meanwhile you can’t even get that cutie to text you back. Although, it would help if you texted him first but that’s not the big picture. The point is, you’re single as a… Wait; there aren’t even any appropriate analogies to make because you are literally the only single being/thing on earth.

Stage 4: Curiosity. 
You start to wonder about everything. You wonder how someone could’ve possibly loved your parents/grandparents/aunt/uncle/neighbor/dog and how they could’ve found someone to love them when you can’t seem to get a grasp on it. You start to pay real close attention to yourself. Are you okay? 

Stage 5: More denial.
 St. Valentine wasn’t even cupid, so why is the mascot for this stupid holiday a baby in a diaper?

Stage 6: Aww. 
You start to appreciate the cuteness of the couples.

Stage 7: Hope. 
You know what? Maybe this WILL be your year and you’ll find someone that will buy you a dozen roses and chocolates and take you out for a great night and it’ll be a great story to tell the grandkids.

Stage 8: Searching. 
You start trying to find “the one” before the big day. You drop hints like they’re fresh beats and you smile flirtatiously at every potential “the one” you see. The thought is exciting, but terrifying.

Stage 9: Panic. 

Is there something wrong with you?! Valentine’s day is coming closer and none of those cuties from the hallway even looked your way today! What if no one asks you out!? What are you going to tell your friends on the 15th?! What if no one EVER loves you and you end up a shriveled old woman living with 50 cats and no one remembers you and you die alone and no ever visits your grave because you never even had grandkids and then your cats will all become strays but- BREATHE GIRL, BREATHE. 

Stage 10: 

But then reality hits and you realize…

Stage 11: Depression. 

Valentine’s day is literally tomorrow and so far your “hot night” involves nothing but your pajamas, Netflix, hot chocolate, pizza and some Chinese food. 

Stage 12: Acceptance. 

On second thought, pizza, hot chocolate, Chinese food and Netflix are the only ones you need in your life. Besides, tomorrow is half off candy day! Being single is awesome.

Note from the authorLadies and gents if you are reading this, if you have yet to meet your soulmate, worry not. This may not be the year you have a Valentine’s Day to remember but that doesn’t make you any less wonderful, beautiful and an all around good person. Don’t let all the hype get you down, because one day when you are happily in love you will realize that waiting for this relationship made it that much better. Keep your chin up, doll, you’re awesome. And don’t forget that, okay? I love you!

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!