Pinterest Recipe Review: Healthy Banana Bread

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Recently, I have been trying to be much healthier and take better care of my body. This involves working out regularly and making more conscientious dietary choices. It hasn’t been easy, especially because I have such a sweet tooth.

I adore banana bread, but I know it is not a good option because it is loaded with sugar and processed white flour. However, my friend told me about a recipe she stumbled across on Pinterest that might solve my issue. It substitutes white flour for whole wheat flour, sugar for honey or maple syrup, canola oil for coconut oil, and chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips. I use Pinterest a LOT and pin a LOT of things, but I honestly only try out a fraction of the recipes I pin. I was so intrigued to see how the recipe would come out that I just had to give it a go.

The recipe calls for 1 cup of ripe mashed bananas (I like to use bananas that have blackened peels), 2 eggs, ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup, 1 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour, ½ cup melted coconut oil, ¼ cup milk or Greek yogurt, and ½ cup dark chocolate chips. I used honey instead of maple syrup and almond milk instead of Greek yogurt, just because of my preferences.

I have made this recipe a few times now, tweaking different things. I find it to be super yummy! I know it isn’t ~healthy~ but it is healthier than normal banana bread, so I feel a little less guilty. It is perfect as a quick breakfast on the go, or wrapped up as a post-gym snack. I did make it with whole wheat flour and it is decent, but the texture is definitely different, maybe drier? Last time that I made it, I used half regular white flour and half whole wheat flour…that seemed to be a happy medium for me.

I highly recommend you give it a try!

Healthy Moist Banana Bread – I approve :)

Photo below is not mine, it is from the recipe’s link.

Junior Biological Sciences major with an Honors concentration and Psychology minor. Photographer and researcher. Just a girl obsessed with Netflix, small animals, plants, and all things Pinterest. littletricksoflight.blogspot.com