Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Many Loves: It’s Not Just About Your Partner on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Valentine’s Day: the day where couples are given leeway to be as gushy and cheesy as possible, where single people are allowed to drink bottles of wine and talk about how they only need themselves (which is true, love yourself), and where chocolate companies make all of their annual earnings. More likely than not, you will spend the majority of the day with your significant other, or maybe with your gal pals at a bar. There are other people in your life, however, that deserve some recognition on this holiday of love.

Your Parents

Duh! The people that gave you life, that raised you into the wonderful person you are today! Your parents, or guardians who raised you, are the people that taught you about love, and certainly have given you the most love and support throughout your life. They certainly deserve your attention this Valentine’s Day, whether it be by a card, flowers, or simply a hug. Make sure you talk to your parents to let them know how much you appreciate everything they have done for you.

Your Extended Family

Not only have your parents been there for you since the beginning, but so has the rest of your family! Not only your siblings, but aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins have all seen you grow up and mature before their eyes. They have seen you through all your awkward stages, seen your school concerts and plays, and slipped you money for no reason at all except to show their love to you. If it was not for your grandparent’s love, you wouldn’t be here today so give them a call this Wednesday to let them know how thankful you are for them.

Your Pet

Whether you have a dog, cat, hamster, or lizard, your pets are the ones that shower you with love every time you walk through the door. They rely on you for food, shelter, and snuggles, and could not be happier to have you in their lives. Nobody will show you loyalty like you pet, and they give you relationships you will remember for the rest of your life. Your pets can’t get Valentine’s Day presents from anyone else but you so make sure you spoil the crap out of them to show them how much you love them.

Your Friends

Of course, last but certainly not least, make sure you bombard your besties with love and adoration. Your friends are the people that you have grown up with, that have seen you at your best and worst, that listen to you rant about whatever is bothering you, and that continuously tell you how lovely and beautiful you are. Your friend are the people that will be with you longest in life, so you need to show them how much you appreciate every little thing they do for you.

While you are writing your cheesy captions for your Instagram about how amazing your significant other is, or ubering to the nearest party with four of your besties by your side, make sure you shoot a text to your parents or pick up the phone and call your sibling. Everyone deserves to feel some love!

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu