Long vs. Short: Which hair is better?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Ah, the debate that has plagued girls for decades: is it better to have short hair or long hair? For the past few years, celebrities have made it a trend to chop their hair off, leaving pixie cuts and bobs as the new dos.

Charlize Theron showing us how it’s done.

Many of my close friends have hopped on the bandwagon, taking off inches or even a whole foot of hair that has taken them years and years to grow out. I, however, have been unable to find myself wanting to join in on this. Sure, short hair has its perks, but it has been a dream of mine my entire life to grow my hair down to my belly button — and I am close to the finish line. Once I get there, do I join my sisters, or do I let it stay long?

As with many other issues in my life, I decided that in order to make this decision, I would compile a list of pros and cons for each. Some are my observations and some were given to me by my short-haired friends. Here is my list of reasons why I should and should not consider short hair:

Short Hair Pros

1. Less hassle to brush or manage in general

2. Less time to get ready in the morning

3. Use less products, like shampoo, conditioner, and detangler, etc.

4. Cooler in the summer

5. Cheaper to get cut/colored

Short Hair Cons

1. Takes forever to grow back

2. Harder to put up into buns or braid

3. Less hair, less warmth — nothing to cover your neck in the winter

4. Less options to style for prom season or formal events

5. Have to wash more often/gets oilier faster than long hair

6. Need to get your hair cut more often

After compiling this list, I had a dream that I miraculously grew bangs, a look I haven’t sported since 1st grade. I woke up, slightly amused, slightly horrified, and decided to try something different with my hair. I did milkmaid braids, something I had never been able to do before because my hair was not long enough.

Me with my braids!

As I was admiring my work, my roommate walked in, who had chopped off her hair this past summer. She complimented my braids, saying she wished she was able to still do stuff like that to her hair. I asked her if she was ever planning to grow out her hair again; she laughed, saying if she did, she would probably end up chopping it off again. Less hair, less hassle!

The moral of this article: do what makes you happy! If your hair doesn’t make you happy, experiment! Chop it off, grow it out, layer it, color it! The world is full of endless possibilities, and you should never limit yourself or your hair.

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu