Little Life Lessons: Bump in the Road

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

We’ve all had our fair share of failures. We can all think back to a time when we were convinced something in our lives was going to work out, and then it just… didn’t.

But we can all also reflect back to a time that things were going really well – better than expected! We’ve all had a string of successes as well.

So how can we learn to accept the balance that is this topsy turvy roller coaster of success and failure? By admitting that sometimes, what we think is the best course of action for us actually isn’t. What we may see ourselves doing may actually be something that is not meant for us at all.

All right, so that’s all well and good; everything happens for a reason and what not. But what about situations that don’t really contain an underlying positive outcome? What about when life really takes a turn and throws us into a mess of financial, health, relationship, and familial problems? Then what? Is it guaranteed that these are all leading to “what is best for us”? To be frank; not necessarily. So how can we get past these moments when life really drags us down?

By accepting that sometimes, no matter what we do, we have no control.

We all know that things like sickness and death are inevitable. To deny them would be ridiculous and almost childlike. But sometimes taking life as it comes is the best therapy, sometimes understanding that rough times come but also – rough times go. And when the rough times go, they leave behind a stronger version of you. A resilient warrior who has learned how to deal with another one of life’s situations. It leaves you ready to accept what’s coming next.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every down, there is an up. For every rainy day, there is a sunny day. And you can only appreciate the ups and the sun after having not felt it for a while.

So you can get past the bump in the road by looking ahead, and thinking how things are going to turn around for you, and how you will not only be stronger when it happens but also more capable of enjoying them.

If you are currently in the midst of a down cycle, stay strong; life is polishing your armor and getting ready to deliver something amazing at your doorstep. And when it comes, you’ll take it on like the majestic warrior that you are. Keeping walking down your road; there is sunshine ahead.

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!