Katie Lehocky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Hey, everyone!

This week, I introduce to you one of the cutest campus cuties ever! If you’ve ever seen Rowan Cheerleading at any event, you’ve probably seen this angel – Katie Lehocky!

Katie is an Elementary Education major, with a dual in Literacy Studies and two concentrations; Teacher of Students with Disabilities and Teacher of Reading. Originally from Middletown, NJ, Katie is now 21 and in her senior year here at Rowan University. Out of all her fond memories at Rowan, Katie can’t pick just one to highlight – believe me, we tried asking and it didn’t work!

In her four years, she has found quite a few extracurricular activities to get involved in; she is the captain for the Rowan Cheerleading Team, the President for the Elementary Education club, Vice President for the Students for Literacy Club, Vice President for Kappa Delta Pi, the SGA representative for the Mortar Board Honor Society, an Admissions Ambassador, a Life Coach and Academic Mentor for the Academic Success Center, and she is on the College of Education Student Advisory Council! Wow, Katie! How do you do it all? Watch out, profs – Katie will be featured as a celebrity in a few weeks as well, so we can learn more about all of her achievements in these clubs and activities!

It is autumn, and although Katie’s favorite season is summer, her favorite thing about fall is that it is scarves and boots season! We couldn’t agree with you more, Katie!

As a true future teacher, Katie’s favorite book is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch and her favorite movie is Frozen. Katie also finds a favorite TV show in Modern Family, and she loves the song All American Girl by Carrie Underwood.

When Katie has time to spare, she enjoys hanging out with friends; eating, watching movies, and shopping are just some of the ways Katie likes to enjoy their company! Katie also likes helping others and being a reason that they smiled that day.

When she has time for hobbies, Katie likes cheerleading, shopping, reading and exercising. In fact, a little tidbit you may not know about Katie is that she used to do karate when she was younger and was a 2nd degree black belt!

If Katie could have one wish, it would be for there to be a cure for cancer one day. Katie wants patients to be able to hear from their doctor “this will be an easy fix.” If only, and we all wish this with you, Katie! Who knows, maybe your future student will be the one to discover the cure?

True to her major, if Katie could change one thing about the world it would be for “people [to] stop attaching stigmas to individuals with disabilities or who are different than them.  Everyone excels in their own individual way; you just need to give them the opportunity to showcase that excellence.” Spoken like a true teacher, Katie!

Katie is proud to look back on all of the hard work she has done and know that it has led her to where she is right now, and we are very proud of you too, Katie!

As a 21-year-old senior in college, Katie has wised up a bit since her freshman year in high school. If she could go back and tell her 15 year old self anything, it would be to “keep on being the kind person you are because people WILL notice that one day.” Well, Katie, we all have noticed and you are simply charming. Please, never change!

Next up on her goals list is her education goals, which are to earn a Master’s in reading so she can become a reading specialist. Then, she wants to “become the very best teacher she can possibly be.” She wants to be a teacher who teaches a student how to ready extremely well, so that when they continue their reading they can think back to when they had Katie as a teacher and say “I know this, Ms. Lehocky taught me this.”

If Katie had to give any advice to freshman in college, she would tell them that “college [flies by], so do whatever you want to do and have no regrets.  Try something new and don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone, because those are usually the times when your best memories are made.”

Finally, after all of her achievements and successes, Katie has come up an amazing young lady. To pay it forward, she advises other girls that “it is okay to be different, that’s what makes you, you.  No one else can be a better you than you.  So be proud of who you are because you never know when you’ll cross paths with someone who’s been looking for a person just like you!”

We love you, Katie!

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!