This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, finals are here and all we really want is a cup of hot chocolate while we watch our favorite holiday movies. Here are a few of the best hot chocolate recipes perfect for watching Elf for the hundredth time. Make a few servings and share with the people you love most.

(photo found on monto.happeningmag.com)

CANDY CANE COCOA – MAKES 4

Candy Canes and Hot Chocolate? It just tastes like Christmas.

What You Need:        

●     4 cups of milk

●     3 (1 oz) squares of chocolate, chopped

●     4 peppermint candy canes crushed

●     whipped cream

●     4 peppermint candy canes

“In a saucepan, heat milk until hot, but not boiling. Whisk in the chocolate and the crushed peppermint candies until melted and smooth. Pour hot cocoa into four mugs, and garnish with whipped cream. Serve each with a candy cane stirring stick.”

Link to recipe: http://montco.happeningmag.com/candy-cane-cocoa-holidays/

(photo found on panerabread.com)

PANERA BREAD SIGNATURE HOT CHOCOLATE

Because who doesn’t love Panera at home?

What You Need:

●     1 cup of milk

●     4 pumps of chocolate

●     whipped cream

●     carmel syrup or chocolate syrup

●     chocolate chip marshmallows

Heat up milk until hot, add chocolate syrup and stir. Then top it off with whipped cream and add your choice of caramel or chocolate syrup. Finally, add chocolate chip marshmallows to top it off.

(photo found on foodnetwork.com)

MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE; serves 8

Make your abuela and everyone happy with this Mexican favorite.

What You Need:

●     6 (12 oz) cans of evaporated milk

●     4 teaspoons of cinnamon

●     1 tablespoon ground nutmeg

●     pinch of cayenne pepper

●     2 (12 oz) bags of semisweet chocolate

●     cocoa powder

“In a large pot over medium heat, whisk together milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Add chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted. Cover and turn heat to low for 5 minutes.”

Link to recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mexican-hot-chocolate-recipe1.html

(photo found on meals.com)

MALTED HOT CHOCOLATE WITH TOASTED MARSHMALLOWS: Serves 1

Here’s an interesting one, try it out it could be your new favorite

What You Need:

●     1 cup of hot chocolate

●     3-4 marshmallows

●     3 tablespoons malted milk powder

“Heat oven. Place the marshmallows on a foil-lined broiler-proof baking sheet and broil until just golden, about 30 seconds. Meanwhile, prepare the hot cocoa mix and mix with the malted milk powder. Top with the toasted marshmallows.”

Link to recipe: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/malted-hot-coc…

(photo found on gimmesomeoven.com)

WHITE HOT CHOCOLATE: SERVES 5

A super easy and delicious twist on hot chocolate.

What You Need:

●     4 cups of milk of your choice

●     1 tsp. vanilla extract

●     8 oz. white chocolate, chopped into small pieces (or white chocolate chips)

●     whipped cream or marshmallows

“Stir together milk, vanilla and chopped white chocolate in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the white hot chocolate comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with whipped cream or marshmallows.”

Link to recipe: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/homemade-white-hot-chocolate/

Hi! I'm a freshman at Rowan University and am a double major in history and political science with a minor in Spanish. I'm a cupcake enthusiast and a wanderer, I love to write and travel. Once I broke my nose by slipping on ice cream in McDonald's and haven't been able to go back ever since. My favorite movies include Across the Universe, Sandlot, and basically every Disney movie ever made. I live by, "What Would Blair Waldorf Do?"
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.