Healthy Campus 101: Surviving the Annual Back-to-School Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s a new school year and you’re ready to conquer all of your classes and you are determined to make the most of it. You start to feel a small tickle in your throat and before you know it you’re hit with this annoying cold that you can’t seem to get rid of. Now, let’s rewind and try our best to avoid this annoying, time-wasting cold and get back to having the best school year yet!

1.)    Clean Hands. I know this sounds like a broken record, but always keep your hands clean. Wash your hands as frequently as possible, and to even make it easier when you’re on-the-go, carry around hand sanitizer to use before and after meals, when in public places. (ex. The caf, the Student Center, residence hall lounges, basically anywhere necessary.)

2.) Immune Support Supplements. If you have a feeling that getting a cold is inevitable (it basically is when living on a college campus with so many other people), try an immune system booster such as Emergen-C or Airborne. They are basically either chewables or a powder you mix into water that contains different vitamins such as Vitamin C,E,A and zinc. These vitamins work together to attempt to fight off any viruses that may enter your body. It is always good to give these a try and keep yourself stocked up on these in your dorm whenever a cold is going around Rowan.

3.)  Get Enough Rest. By staying well rested with about 8-10 hours of sleep a night, you can help boost your immune system by doing the easiest thing: Sleeping! Lack of sleep leaves us prone to colds and other viruses, so relaxation and sleep are actually very productive activities when trying to steer clear of illness.

4.) Healthy Diet. Eating greasy foods with little to no nutritious value can actually make your immune system less active, and will make it even harder for your body to fight illness.

5.) Stay Clear of Sick Friends. Obviously if your friends are sick, you shouldn’t be hanging around them! Not spending every minute of every day with your friends may be difficult, but use that short period of time doing homework, heading over to the Rec Center, or catching up on your favorite book. Also, if you are dealing with a sick roommate, try not to spend as much time in your room as you would on a normal basis. Keep your windows open to air out the germs, keep your room tidy and invest in some germ-killing Lysol wipes.

Obviously, catching a cold once in a while is inevitable, but I hope these tips helped as much as possible! If you catch a cold while on campus, visit our Wellness Center located in Winans (that is available to all Rowan students) and make an appointment or you can make an appointment online at:

none”>http://www.rowan.edu/open/studentaffairs2/healthcenter/

Good Luck this semester and Stay Healthy!