Avant’s Staff and Writers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

One of Rowan’s best features, to me at least, is this magazine which lets its students express themselves and share their inner workings with their fellow classmates. Each semester Avant Literary Magazine comes out with a book composed of work submitted by Rowan students.

This work includes poetry, short stories, nonfiction, flash fiction, and even photography. To be fair and as objective as possible, the author’s names are removed from the pieces submitted to the magazine.  Each book is split up into sections and poems that fall into that category are placed there.

I was lucky enough to join this club last year and I essentially joined a family of creative souls. I could not be more thankful for all of them and to be a part of this unique group. Each week, we meet for an hour and a half on Thursday nights and discuss the pieces submitted to us. Any that are accepted are to be printed in that semester’s copy of the magazine. Each member of Avant works extremely hard to provide insight and helpful critique to the works. This is essential to making sure that each copy of Avant is just as excellent as the last.

The people who submit and the writers that are accepted into Avant are also extremely important. Without them, we wouldn’t even be able to have the magazine. Some members of Her Campus are also featured in it including myself and Sammi Caramela!  It is definitely an hour to be accepted into a magazine that has been around for decades and is quite well known.

So, congratulations to the writers accepted and a special thanks to the staff of Avant for continuing to enrich our campus with this magazine.

A copy of this semester’s Avant can be found on campus in buildings such as Bozorth and in the publications suite (room 220) of the Chamberlain Student Center. Submissions will begin at the beginning of next semester and can be attached to an email to avantzine@gmail.com. Happy submitting!

Hello! My name is Laurie Toich and I am a senior at Rowan University. I am a Writing Arts major with specializations in Creative Writing and Technical/Professional Writing. In my spare time I like spending time with my friends, working out, and writing. In the future I hope to be a published novelist and poet. I believe that if you follow your passion it will never lead you astray!