American Horror Story new season review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

With the second episode of the 5th season of American Horror Story airing tonight I figured I’d recap and review last week’s premier.

Let me start off by saying I am not a fan of scary things, I actually hate them. I refuse to go to Fright Fest with my friends at Six Flags, I’ve never seen Insidious or The Conjuring and I don’t plan on it. But I enjoyed, if you can enjoy something gruesome and strange, or rather was glued to the television during the 1st episode of AHS’s Freak show.  

The camera angles, the suspense, the idea of freak show itself was riveting and attention grabbing.

As the bearded lady, the host of the freak show, put it, “A plethora of the strange, the weird the bizarre,” perfectly sums up the characteristics of this season.  

The setting is Jupiter, Florida in 1952, kind of symbolic that the city is the name of a planet because the events and characters seem as if they are from another universe. The episode appropriately opens up with a murder, it wouldn’t be AHS if it didn’t.  I won’t go into detail about the episode to avoid spoiling anything but these are a few things I thought were really interesting and creative:

·         The conjoined twins, who are referred to as “the monster” have 2 heads, 3 kidneys, 4 lungs, 2 hearts, only one reproductive system, and can speak to each other in their heads through twin telepathy.

·         There is a really creepy, serial killer clown that just casually walks around town. I think it’s interesting that he is always in public in his costume. His character also can’t speak so you are always anticipating his actions.

·         Elsa, the lady who wants to open the freak show and tries to round up “freaks” to perform thinks the people outside the circus tent and not part of the freak show are the ones with monster souls

Don’t forget to watch AHS tonight at 10pm to see how these characters develop and what will happen next.