The 5 Best Vegan Restaurants In South Jersey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Eating vegan can be hard, especially when you live in an area where eating meat and cheese is the norm. I’ve been eating a plant based diet since August and I’ve had plenty of time to scope out the best vegan restaurants in the South Jersey area. Even though they may be quite a drive from Rowan, they’re great places if you are looking to venture off campus and into the surrounding areas. Here were my best finds from closest distance to furthest:

Kitchen 519 (12 miles, 19 minute drive)

Located in Glendora, Kitchen 519 offers a separate vegan menu. This is a perfect place to go if you are dining with your non-vegan friends. Some of the highlights on the menu are the “chicken” parmesan, Korean BBQ tofu tacos, and jackfruit cakes. Other items on the menu, suit vegetarian needs as well. This place cured my chicken parm craving and I had non-dairy chocolate coconut mousse for dessert!

Healthy Garden (17 miles, 23 minute drive)

Another great option if you are dining with non-vegan friends! The diverse menu offers pizzas, quesadillas, salads, breakfast, crepes and more. The vegan quesadillas are delicious and the Very Veggie Pasta is a blend of veggies, Daiya cheese, olive oil, and grilled tofu. Yum!

Heartbeet Kitchen (18 miles, 25 minute drive)

This Westmont eatery is also expanding to Ocean City, NJ this summer. Everything on the menu is vegan, gluten free, peanut free, and locally grown. Enjoy some warm queso dip for an appetizer, a BLT sandwich, and try their on draft kambucha. The smoothies are award winning and my all-time favorite one is the Cinnamon Roll shake! Looking for some breakfast food? This place is a must for brunch! From vegan benedict to tofu scramble, you’ll want to try everything on the menu.

Leaf Eatery (18 miles, 26 minute drive)

Nestled in downtown Haddonfield, Leaf offers more delicious vegan food including brunch. It’s family owned by three sisters with a mission to serve healthy food that tastes great. Be sure to try the cinnamon rolls and the frittata!

Blackbird Pizzeria (20 miles, 30 minute drive)

There’s a few locations in Philadelphia, but the South Street one is just a short walk from the RAH Philly Shuttle stop. This place has all of your favorite Philly foods but vegan. Pizzas, cheesesteaks, wings, chili cheese fries, and more make this place a great spot for all of your unhealthy cravings.

Madison is an elementary education and literacy studies major at Rowan University. Besides writing for Hercampus and being a Hercampus Trendsetter, Madison is the president of the Eta Psi chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, vice president of Rowan's Circle K club, and an Admissions Ambassador. Her hobbies are reading, writing, painting, and drawing. Her favorite things to write about are dating, beauty, and literature.