What I learned from my semester abroad: in fashion terms that is

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.
After studying abroad in Barcelona for four months I thought I would experience culture shock when I returned home, but forget culture shock – I was having full on fashion shock. Going from living in Barcelona, fashion capital of Spain to living in dreary Rochester, New York is a complete 180.  I now have to resort back to reading magazines and blogs, not that I completely mind, instead of simply walking out my apartment door and down the streets of Barcelona to feel inspired every day. 

At the beginning of my trip my friend Tirza asked if I thought my style would change while I was in Barcelona.  At this point, I had yet to find a clothing store in the city that I actually liked, so I responded with an emphatic no – forgetting that all fashion starts in Europe. 

Many of my friends would describe my style as preppy, but I would categorize myself as preppy chic.  Although I did not believe that I would stray from my preppy uniform, I was clearly equivocado.

Not long after my conversation with Tirza, I quickly traded in my Polo oxfords for a trendy tunic, my American Apparel leggings for J Brand skinny jeans and I luckily had already left my dreadful Ugg boots at home and was now sporting knee high brown leather boots.  I guess my preppy-self was not going to hold up on my Euro adventure.

As every European knows, boots are a staple of a woman’s wardrobe and they soon became a staple of mine as well. So much so that I began a hunt for black military boots, which is actually a very tricky task.  I needed to find a perfect balance between wearable boots that looked trendy and chic, but not combat bootish. I wanted boots with a little spunk, and by spunk I mean jewels.   Although I got close to buying a few pairs of boots, I was always reluctant and thus am still on the hunt.

Shortly after trading in my traditional wardrobe, I started to discover more European stores like Masimo Dutti or even the beloved Top Shop.  I will admit I did shop a lot at Zara and H&M, which are both found in the U.S., but definitely have better stock in Europe.  One of my first and most memorable purchases was a cape from Tophop. I finally felt on my way to becoming a European fashionista.

As I have slowly immersed myself back into American civilization, I have taken on the view of “slow and steady wins the race.”  So, I am living and wearing this motto.  Besides the fact that my closet is not back at full stock, due to the massive amounts of laundry I have, I finally wore a poncho jacket I purchased in Barcelona out and about.  I was a little nervous because even though poncho jackets were popping up everywhere in Europe, rivaling the traditional Barbour jacket, I was not quite sure America was ready for its debut.  I could not have been more wrong! I received loads of compliments.

With three simple purchases, I was already transforming my wardrobe.  Now instead of the daunting task of converting my style to encompass a European flare, my new looming task it to figure out how to assimilate my European collection with my traditional American pieces.

My abroad experience was not only a personal growth experience; it was also a fashion learning experience.  So now as I sit here with fashion magazines covering my bedroom floor, trying to figure out how to fuse my new self with my old self, both in fashion and personal terms.

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.