UR Campuses Becoming Tobacco Free in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

As most people now know, tobacco addiction, more specifically smoking, has become one of the biggest global public health issues. The amount of health issues correlated with smoking and tobacco use is overwhelming! Not only can it effect the smoker, but anyone who is around the smoke, or who is in a room where smoking occured. That is why many institutions have already banned smoking indoors, and are moving to be smoke free on the entire campus! Some campuses have also accounted for the effects of all tobacco products. 

The University of Rochester, in particular, has announced that they will be a tobacco-free institution by July 2017. This ban includes not only cigarettes but “e-cigarettes, cigars, pipes and vape pens, and smokeless tobacco” (Rochester), and it will aplly both indoors and out. The University has also announced that there will be a small number of smoking shelters for tobacco users. The announcement also included information regarding the University Health Services (UHS) announcing there will be free resources available for community members who wish to quit tobaco use!

President and CEO Joel Seligmen stated that “this is an important step in ensuring a healthy learning and working environment that is consistent with our mission. The University is committed to promoting good health and well-being, and with this policy we will also provide encouragement and resources to those interested in quitting” (Rochester). The research certainly supports his claim that this ban will improve the overall campus environment, one that is better for all students, faculty, and staff!

All quoted information in this article was retrieved from a University of Rochester statement by Sara Miller, that can be found at the following address: http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/all-university-campuses-to-become-tobacco-free-starting-next-july-178722/#.V8W4oyMcZFI.facebook

Andreanna Bowers is a junior at the University of Rochester. Most people know her solely as Anna. She is double majoring in Molecular Genetics and Bioethics, on the Pre-Med track. She is from a small farm town in New York where she has played almost every sport available; gymnastics, football, basketball, and baseball to name a few. Andreanna is currently on the UR Track and Field team as a Multi, aka she does a lot. She loves art, hanging out with friends, demolition derbies, and food. She is all too familiar with Netflix binges, regardless of how much work she should be doing.