How to Stay Cool During This Heat Wave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

While I’m sure that none of us chose the University of Rochester specifically for the cold, we were well aware that temperatures around here can become frigid and packed accordingly. I feel like I own enough sweaters for a small army. However, what they don’t tell us in the brochure is that the first few weeks of classes are always swelteringly hot.  I know that during my freshman year I was woefully under prepared for this heat. Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve learned to help you stay cool!

1. Spend as much time in the library as possible

Especially places like reference or Gleason; which always seem to be kept right above freezing. It can be jarring to go from sweltering heat to the borderline tundra, but anything is better than sweating out your body weight while trying to do work on the quad.

2. Avoid alcohol or caffeine 

Both of these substances are diuretics. Drinking them will promote dehydration and make you even more miserable.

3. Invest in a window fan

Too often I visit people’s rooms and all they have is a pitiful little fan that is only strong enough to circulate air within a two foot radius.  Walmart has some powerful window fans for about $20, and it’s definitely worth it.

4. Create a cross breeze

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this one out. If you open your door while you have your window fan going it will enable more air flow and cool your room down. This tip seriously changed my life.

5. Take a cold shower. 

Because it feels amazing on a hot day.

6. Make friends in O’Brian.

This is the one dorm on campus with air conditioning.  If you have the opportunity, spend as much time in there as you can. 

7. Drink water

You’re going to sweat a lot during this heat, but that’s a good thing!  Sweating is one of our body’s natural ways of cooling us down. Make sure you drink plenty of water regain the liquid you lose when sweating.