The Final Stretch: How to Make it Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

I woke up last Saturday morning with a headache-the one caught not from stress or hitting my head (that happened later), but the familiar feeling that I had consumed too much alcohol and not enough water the night before.  Although all my body wanted me to do was lie back down for another five hours or so, I forced myself out of bed and headed for the shower, to wash off the evening and get ready for my day. There would only be so many more Saturday mornings to wake up in my twin extra-long bed in snowy Rochester; and I was not about to let one go to waste.

The second semester of senior year can mean many things for people.  For some of you, it means a final semester to sit in class and hold on tight to the life you have become so accustomed to because next year you will be sitting behind a desk in the real world, or busting your butt in grad school and coming to terms with the fact that starting your day at 11am everyday is no longer a ‘thing’.  Or, if you are like me, you have no idea where you will be or what you will be doing next year, so you are trying to make the best of the present time, while you attempt plan the next chapter of your life.

No matter what we are or are not doing next year, we are all in the same boat; this is our last hurrah, and it is our last chance to take advantage of every opportunity that collegiate life presents us.  I hope these words of wisdom from my esteemed senior colleagues/alumnae and myself help you to make the most of it.

#1. Balance work and play

Although we are all here to get an education, we will all cross that graduation stage in May with acquired knowledge that does not come in the form of a textbook or a lecture.  The majority of memories I have created here did not come from those all nighters I spent by myself in the library cramming for an exam or writing a paper I should have started days ago.  Rather, they came from that last minute decision to zip-up my backpack early let loose for the night.  I learned that a test is just a test, but that night I spent with my roommate embarrassing myself as I mounted the mechanical bull at Daisy Dukes is something much more outstanding.

“I love going to colony because its a relaxed, fun bar where all Rochester students like to go. I’m definitely going to look back and remember a night doing Karaoke at Colony than the nights I stayed in the library until 1am”
Sara Gotthelf, Class of 2011

#2. Make a Bucket List with Your Friends

I don’t think my friends and I are alone in our realization that there are only 90 some-odd days until graduation (don’t kill me for putting it in writing) and there are so many things we haven’t done or seen.  We have been using this bucket list as a way for us to define our final experiences not only on campus, but also in the city of Rochester.

“I have my own bucket list, but the list toppers include sledding down the hill behind Danforth, getting down in the stacks, and eating a Garbage plate.  So yea- a pretty wide range of things.”
Beth Birnkrant, Class of 2011

Completing #100 on the Rochester Reviews’ Bucket List: Go to the top of Rush Rhees Library on Halloween for the best view on campus.

#3. Take time to hang out with the people you might not see after graduation

We seniors share commonalities unknown to the rest of the undergraduate population here at the U of R.  We remember what life was like when Gleason was under construction and there was no Riverview, let alone a decent bus system to take us from point A to point B. We remember open bar parties and pizza salads at the Pit, when it was still called the Pit. After four years, we have all made some great friends.  Whether we they have lived on our freshmen hall, or they are underclassmen, they are people who we most likely won’t see much when we graduate.  This is our last chance to soak up as much time with our friends while we can.

“There are so many people you meet in college that you might not ever see again.  It’s weird to think that you shared great college years together, but it ends there.  Spend time with these friends before you graduate.  You’ll be so glad you got to know them before you go your separate ways.”
Kirstin Barry, Class of 2010

#4. Follow your curiosity

Most of us seniors are on the fast track toward reality.  We are embarking on the seemingly endless journey toward a decent job hunt or med/law/grad school acceptance. And this is our last chance to do something for ourselves.  The University of Rochester grants us an incredible amount of freedom when it comes to our academic program. So, if you haven’t, take advantage of that one class you have always wanted to take but never have. 

“Coming back my semester abroad, I really wanted to get involved in something new on campus. I read about open leadership positions for ArtAwake, an art and music festival happening in late spring. Long story short, I’m now the co-head director of the event and it’s given my senior year another dimension of excitement.”
-Hannah Lejfer, Class of 2011

And there you have it seniors!  Everything you need to know in order to end your undergraduate career on a high note. With only three months left, it is up to you to make every minute count!

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.