Communicating Better: Socially and Professionally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

The art of communicating with others – especially strangers – is not an easy task. Whether it’s to your professor/boss or to your entire class, talking effectively can be a struggle. Being an introverted person, myself, I found these tips and tricks on how to be a better communicator highly useful, and I hope you do too!

Be engaged

Keep distractions such as your phone or headphones away when you’re having a conversation with someone. Give them your full attention and try to maintain eye contact so that the person knows that you are listening and care about what they have to say, making them more inclined to open up as well as listen to your responses. 

Be Aware of Your Body Language

Our non-verbal cues tend to reveal more than we think they do. Being aware and in control of your facial expressions and body language when communicating (talking plus listening) to others is critical. You want the person you are talking to to know that what you say and do are genuine actions. 

Tell A Story

Visuals are useful and quite captivating not only on paper or online, but also in person. Stories are powerful as they activate our brains beyond the typical answer and question mindset.  

Keep it simple

Be clear and concise with your words. Try not to fill up your conversations with unnecessary or irrelevant details. 

Listen, Listen, Listen

I cannot stress how important the act of listening – genuinely listening – to what other people say is. Communication is a two-way street. A good conversation stems from a meaningful back-and-forth exchange of information and anecdotes where both parties are listening to each other. This way responding will come more easily and naturally. 

Pamela is a sophomore at the University of Rochester in New York. Although she plans to pursue a major in business, she still possess a passion for writing, whether creative or journalistic. During her free time, she enjoys dancing along with watching Friends or Once Upon a Time while relaxing in bed. Shopping and eating are definitely on her list of favorite activities as well.