Campus Celebrity: Kathryn Montgomery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Kathryn Montgomery, starting defender on our Varsity Women’s Field Hockey Team, is this week’s Campus Celebrity! Whether it’s been from VSAAC, St. Sebastian Society, Kappa Delta Sorority, or working at the GAC, you know you’ve seen this girl around campus. Keep reading to find out just how cool she is (like you didn’t already know), on and off the field!

Hometown: Garden City, New York

Class Year: 2016

Major: Psych

Hobbies: I’m really passionate about pugs, sticky lips restaurant and 90’s rap.

When did you start playing field hockey? Why?

I started playing field hockey in middle school because I liked the skirts.

Did you always want to play at the collegiate level? 

Throughout high school I thought I would fence in college, but then my junior year I decided field hockey was a better fit for me.

What has led to the team’s success this season?

We are no longer the underdog. We understand that and we’re proud of it! We know what it feels like to lose those playoff games and that makes us that much more determined to win.

What has been your favorite moment so far this season?

Beating William Smith, something we’ve never done before and something I’m sure many people didn’t think we could do. We fought for every inch of that game and I believe that’s only the start of what we are really capable of!

What’s it like moving on to campus earlier than everyone else?

It’s exciting! I love seeing the team and just focusing on field hockey before school gets going.  And once that fitness test is over, I enjoy every minute of it :)

How has being a member of the field hockey team influenced your college experience?

It has been the main component of my college experience, and it has intertwined flawlessly with everything else I am involved in. It’s the perfect balance of challenge and support. Any expectation I could have set has been far surpassed.

What do you do outside of field hockey?

I am a member of VSAAC and St. Sebastian Society, a sister of Kappa Delta sorority and a building manager at the GAC. 

How do you balance everything?

It’s all about time management and pursuing things that you are passionate about.  It’s not work when you love what you are doing!

What advice would you give to future athletes?

Be fearless, be ambitious, and most of all, be grateful!