Basketball standout John DiBartolomeo ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.
John DiBartolomeo was recently named to the team of the week by d3hoops.com.  This is his fifth weekly honor this season! The Rochester basketball team is on a nine game winning streak and will travel to play Carnegie-Mellon and Case Western this weekend.

What made you decide to come to Rochester?
I decided to attend UR because of its rich basketball tradition, as well as its good academics. It seemed to have the best combination of both compared to other schools. 

How has your team as a whole reacted to taking on a new coach?
Everyone reacted very well to Coach Flockerzi. He is a players’ coach and really likes to interact with us off the court and he is a great motivator in practice. In just a year we have all learned a lot from him and I don’t think we could have picked a better coach in the country.

What have you done from last season to this season to continue to be one of the leading players on the team? 
I just continued to do my regular off-season workouts. Last year I wasn’t really a leader, but my teammates have almost molded me into that role this year. Coach has given me a lot of confidence too. As long as I stick to the offense and make the right reads for myself and my teammates, I think we will continue to be successful.

How is the team preparing for the remainder of the season and going into playoffs coming off of a 9 game winning streak?
We are just trying to focus on our next game and not be satisfied with our winning streak or our season because we know we haven’t accomplished anything yet.

Are you involved in any other aspects of campus?
I’m a brother of the Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity.

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.