This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Late Sunday night, my good friend texted me this:

“Have you been queefing lately when you have sex?”

At first, I couldn’t help but laugh, until I realized she was absolutely serious. So, like any other good friend, I replied with complete honesty:

“Not recently. It only happens when I have my legs up in the air, then switch positions.”

Then, I proceeded to ask her if she queefed all over her date last night. “Luckily”, according to her, “it happened just as [she] was walking in the halls back to [her] room.”

I was relieved for her when she said she hadn’t. Queefing can totally ruin the mood and make you feel extremely embarrassed or self-conscious during and after sex.  

The Origin of the Queef

A queef is basically a pocket of air that’s forced out of your vagina. It occurs when air gets trapped or displaced — which explains why I would queef during sex after “switching positions.” Queefing is irrepressible and happens to everyone (or at least everyone with a vagina).  

How To Survive the Queef

Queefing, without a doubt, can create some uncomfortable situations.

And now an uncomfortable situation excerpt from my life:

I remember the day like it was yesterday: my first queef. I was in highschool getting giggy with my new boyfriend and out of nowhere . . . pft! For a split second, I froze, my eyes widened, and I panicked. My boyfriend was definitely pretending he didn’t hear what just happened. After a few seconds of awkward silence, we continued to get down. Then it happened again – multiple times in a row! Instead of continuing to get down this time, my partner and I burst with laughter. This is how I survive the queef – with laughter.

So, when it comes to queefing, don’t be ashamed. When you really think about it, the situation itself is more funny than it is embarrassing. My advice to you is to laugh the queef off; odds are, your partner thinks it’s just as funny.

Nevertheless, if you can’t help but be embarrassed, try looking on the bright side. . .at least queefs aren’t scented!

Till next time, happy queefing!

MW

Mia Wall

Rochester

Geek in the streets, freak in the sheets. . . and vice versa.