nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Little Random Acts of Kindness to Make Your Week Special

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Between the cold, midterms, and the lack of sun, it can be easy to feel discouraged. However, the sun is starting to come back in Rochester and with that, it is the perfect time to celebrate what makes life so amazing! Here are some little ways you can spread some happiness and kindness to the people around you!

1. Say “Thank you”

Whether it is to your professor, a peer who does something nice for you, or even a random stranger who holds the door open for you, look them in the eyes, tell them thank you and mean it.

2. Call home

Call your mother, father, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, or anyone who has made a difference in your life and tell them how they have helped you and how they make you feel. Or email an old teacher and tell them how they made a difference in your life.

3. Learn the names of people around you

On a college campus, you spend the majority of your time around people. Classes, studying, eating, and walking are all done with lots and lots of people. So learn their names. Whether it is the custodian in your dorm, or the clerk at Hillside, let them know you appreciate what they do by taking a second to talk to them.

4. Post a positive note somewhere

Either put a love letter in a book or magazine of your partner, friend, or roommate. Or you can just leave a random Post-it note with a positive message in a bathroom or in a cool place (the stacks come to mind: people cramming for midterms could use some encouragement!). For the more adventurous and ambitious, ask the person at to add a new message to the letter and leave it somewhere else. Keep the kindness going!

5. Compliment people

Here is an experiment: on your walk to class or to anywhere else on campus, take out your headphones, put away your phone, and compliment a random stranger. Just a simple “I like your outfit” could make someone’s day or week.

6. Post something nice on social media

There is so much negativity on all forms of media, but social media is unique in that it can also be used to spread positivity. Post a funny picture on a friend’s Facebook wall or use your Twitter and Instagram to compliment someone or say something about why you like where you are in life. Positivity is contagious!

7. Pay for something for someone

For you freshman ladies, swiping an upperclassman into Dfo or Douglas could make their week and for the upperclassman, why not buy a Starbucks drink for the freshman? Declining can be in short supply very quickly.

8. Write someone a list of things you love about them

This is a perfect thing to do for your Mom or Dad. Write them a letter and send it in the actual mail (no texting or email!) and let them know all they do for you. Or, write a list about why you love a friend or partner. Even if you don’t send it or show it to them, you will still be sure to appreciate them more and realize all over again why they are important to you.

9. Smile

SMILE! Even if the face of the freezing wind and mountains of school work, a smile can make all the difference in changing your attitude about any situation. When you are more positive, the world notices and gives positivity back to you!

10. Don’t listen to the negative voice in your head

Remember, you deserve to show yourself kindness too.

Sources:

http://www.bradaronson.com/acts-of-kindness/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/101-easy-ideas-for-random-acts-of-kindness#.tj3ELMx2W

My name is Madeline and I am freshman at the University of Rochester. I row on the crew team and am planning on a double major in neuroscience and women's studies on a pre-med track. I am also involved with the Eco-Reps on campus and I love to read and play the piano.