Emma and Emily at RIT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Now that you heard what Emma and Emily’s expectations of RIT was, look to see how their realities measured up:

EMILY AT RIT: Hi RIT! As you all know, I’m Emily; a college freshman. I started at RIT 1 month and 2 days ago (to be exact) and reading my first article is making me laugh out loud. What I expected to happen and what actually happened my first month of school are basically polar opposites. I think the first month of my college experience can be summed up by the quote “What does not kill us only makes us stronger”. Here we go.
1. ROOMMATES- I thought that being in a quad would be the best thing to ever happen in a roommate situation. After losing 1 less roommate and gaining some much needed guidelines, the quad (now triple) is still alive and kicking.
2. CLASSES- It’s midterms week as I write this. Fun? I actually really like my classes though. There is a small group of kids that I have every class with, and we have become close. I can ask them study questions or to critique my photographs if needed. Before arriving, I wrote in my first article that I wanted to learn the skills that the professionals have. I have already learned so much from my professors, peers, and just getting out and actually shooting. At most other colleges, you do not even start taking pictures until sophomore or junior year. This is our fourth photography assignment so far. I love the fact that we are encouraged to shoot all the time. Every time I walk on the quarter mile, I see at least 10 cameras around people’s necks. It’s so cool to see so much passion for photography.
3. BEING INVOLVED- The two things I wanted to do haven’t gone exactly how I planned. First, it has been tough to become active in Hillel It’s been pretty hard to get over to Shabbat dinner on a Friday night when my group of friends is doing something else. I think if I had a couple people to go with every week it would be different. I like to be ‘in’ things. If my friends are ordering Chinese, or watching a movie, or going to the mall, I want to go also! Not that going to Hillel isn’t important, but it would be easier to go if someone came with me. If anyone reading this wants to go with me, hit me up! Second, rushing a sorority didn’t end up how I hoped it would because my four best friends all got bids to the same sorority and I did not.#2- Rushing a Sorority. So the sorority I wanted to pledge didn’t work out. Mainly because my four best friends got bids and I didn’t. At first it sucked. A lot. I’m a Taurus so I like stability and planning things out. At first, I didn’t have a plan of what I was to do after rush didn’t work out, so it freaked me out big time. I now know I am going to rush in the spring, which makes me so excited because my if I get a bid, my pledge class will be girls I do not know yet, giving me the opportunity to branch out. So far, RIT has been one crazy ride, but I’m loving every second of it. See ya soon collegiates ™!
Xoxo Emily

EMMA AT RIT:I’ve finally made it to college, 18 years of life, 12 plus years of public schooling and here I am. Was college everything I expected? Was it more? Yes and yes. Last time I wrote I brought up roommates, living arrangement, campus life and most importantly: boys. Let’s see how they compare.
1. ROOMMATE: In all honesty, I love my roommate. We get a long very, very well. We’re on the same page for a lot of things:boys, lights out, friends, and sharing anything. I guess it’s because we’re different types of people but at the same time very similar. Col and I went day by day as far as setting up “rules” of the room and we’ve had very little to nofew issues. Since I’m a very easy-going person, not much bothers me to the point of fa flipping out. I’m a fairly heavy sleeper, so I don’t care if she wants people in the room while I’m napping or if she has the lights on. We have a mutual respect for each other and I couldn’t think of a better situation. Expectation: Met. Living Arrangement: Photo House. Oh, Photo House. It is definitely interesting. Many, many characters, that’s for sure. I spend most of my time in my room with my closest friends or in their room on the floor above me, which is totally fine with me. Expectation: Giving it more time…
2. CAMPUS LIFE: Most people complain that R.I.T. is not a party school, but guess what? Every college is a “party” school in one form or another; you just have to know where to look. I’ve rather enjoyed going out to R.I.T. parties, I love the atmosphere of them. Being social and meeting as many people as you can is key to truly enjoying your time at college. I went through rush/recruitment week and at the end of rush I received a bid from Zeta Tau Alpha, and I’m so excited. The process has been amazing so far; I’m really looking forward to the end result. The girls are fabulous, .I’m not a sister yet, but I feel so welcomed by them. Expectation: Met.
3. BOYS: Boys, boys, boys—, where’s Lady GaGa when you need her? Since R.I.T. has a large male population you would think that every girl would be snatched up by week 2, not so much. I’ve met a lot of nice guys but have kind of been disappointed in the fact that the girls have to make the first move if you want a decent guy. But at the same time, it’s only week 5 of my freshman year, so I have time to find someone. With that said, I have found some awesome guy friends, ;I have not been disappointed that department! Expectation: Met. Whew, it’s been a long 5 weeks, but at the same time it’s crazy that it’s only been 5 weeks. It seems like months. College is what you make it, if you dwell on drama, you’re not going to have a good time, if you go with the flow you’ll have an awesome time. I don’t regret anything that has happened so far. Go Tigers!
Follow me: @ThatEmmaa, I promise to try to tweet more!

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.