This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Ashley Hennigan

Another RIT “Campus Celebrity,” Ashley Hennigan is right here on campus still. As an academic advisor in the admissions office here, as well as the leading force behind admissions social media accounts and groups, she is a growing social media personality. I currently work with her and could not have picked a better person to work for and with. A social media guru, she excels at branding and reaching large audiences with her tweets and blogs, easily making her a “Campus Celebrity.”

What was your favorite class/professor?
This is a really tough question, so I am going to have to speak to a few of them. I really enjoyed studying under Keith Howard in the Non-Toxic Printmaking program, but one of my favorite classes with him was actually a figure drawing course. I also couldn’t talk about favorite classes without mentioning my study abroad experience. I took Art History in Florence, Italy and nothing can compare to actually touring around Italy to study masterpieces instead of viewing them on slides in a lecture hall.

What was your favorite food place on campus?
As of recently I would have to say Salsarita’s, but as a student my favorite was made-to-order stir fry on Tuesdays in the Commons (which they don’t have any more) or a wrap from Gracie’s.

Least favorite part about RIT?
I grew up in the foothills of the Adirondacks, so the snow really didn’t bother me. I was not prepared for the wind or the amount of walking I did in my first year in the bitter cold air. I actually managed to give myself on-set asthma.

What dorm did you live in?
I lived in Ellingson. I had a corner room, which was huge, but I managed to move out into Perkins in the spring of my freshman year.

Did you work on campus job? Yes. If so, where?
I worked first as a tour guide, and later at the front desk in the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Piece of advice about how to survive RIT?
Get involved in something your care about. Then learn time management.

Advice to girls about how to survive RIT?
Find a few solid girlfriends that you can count on. In the fall of my freshman year I joined Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority where I quickly found 30 solid girlfriends and that did the trick!

What has been your favorite experience in your career so far?
The best thing about working in admissions is traveling with other people in higher ed. Traveling all over the country meeting high school students is fantastic, but I never expected to make so many great friendships with other people outside of RIT who are doing the same thing that I do at other colleges.

Craziest thing you’ve had to do in your career so far?
Stay over in the residence halls during our College & Careers program. Each summer, a number of admissions staff will stay over in the residence halls in case there is an emergency on campus. It’s a trip climbing up into those bunks and dragging yourself down to the showers in the morning.

What has been your “key to success”?
I have always believed in taking on projects that I am really passionate about. It makes the work effortless and it’s hard to be anything but successful when you love what you do.

If you could pick any job in the entire world, what would it be?
I don’t think there is a name for my dream job. I am a creative person and I have a real passion for education. Any job that would let me use my skills to make a positive change is the right job for me.

Any advice for how to accomplish your goals?
Make a list of your goals and post them for everyone to see. A year and a half ago I made a list of 30 things I want to accomplish before I’m thirty and I am slowly checking them off. It’s incredible how real and attainable your goals become after you write them down. You can see my list at http://20somethingblog.com/30-before-30-2/

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.