Why Frozen is one of Disney’s Bests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

If you haven’t seen Disney’s latest princess movie Frozen yet, you need to get yourself to the movie theater because this is one film you cannot miss out on!

Frozen is loosely based on a fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen called The Snow Queen that follows the tale of two sisters, Elsa and Anna, with the former being born with powers to create snow and ice. In this fun-packed film exploring the relationship between two sisters, there will always be a moment that will make you laugh, cry, giggle and shiver with excitement. There’s no wonder that Frozen won the Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Feature Film recently – it deserves it. It is currently known to top the box office, raking in some serious profit. Whether you’re young or old, this movie is family-friendly and definitely one that makes you sing along throughout the entire movie. So what makes this film so magical?

1. The CharactersIn my opinion, the characters make or break movies. With Frozen, it’s hard not to love all of the characters (except for Hans. He can go away.). With characters like Kristoff, Sven the Reindeer and Olaf the Snowman, they all create the perfect amount of comedy and keeps me laughing till the end of the movie. Not to mention that the personalities of both the main characters, Elsa and Anna, though very different, make you love them in different ways and make you envious that you’re not a Disney princess. 
  2. The Musical NumbersOf course with every Disney movie, there has to be an amazing and memorable soundtrack to accompany the film itself. Frozen definitely hits the nail on the mark with unforgettable and catchy tunes like “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” and “For the First Time in Forever” just to name a few. After watching the film, I sang songs from the movie everywhere I went to the point that every time I knocked on my roommate’s door, I would ask her if she wanted to build a snowman. And don’t even get me started on Idina Menzel’s momentous “Let It Go”. Such a powerful song.

3. Disney’s Decision to include a gay familyI applaud Disney for putting an LGBT element in the movie Frozen. This scene probably won’t get noticed by the younger kids, but as a college student, it was pleasantly surprising to see this scene. Though it was only a brief part in the movie, there is a scene where one of the characters in the movie introduces Anna to his family and it pans to a sauna with his faily members inside. To my knowledge, this has never been done in other Disney films (correct me if I’m wrong).The family is cheerful and we all get that signature “Hoo hoo!” stuck in our heads thanks to the lovely Oaken and his fam bam. 
  4. Olaf the SnowmanThere’s nothing else to be said. He’s my favorite. 
  5. Female EmpowermentRather than the classic damsel-in-distress situation Disney usually has going on for its princess films, Frozen embraces aspects of female empowerment through the character of Elsa. I’m no feminist, but being able to finally see a character where a man doesn’t have to save her and plant “true love’s kiss” to save the day is refreshing to see. Let’s think for a minute about how amazing Elsa is. She’s a Queen, and she doesn’t need a man to rule her country. She’s got sass and a can-do attitude (evidenced by her song “Let It Go”) that makes girls envy her and want to be her. Thank you Disney for creating a Disney princess with such admirable characteristics.

I could go on and on about how wonderful the movie is, but it’s just a movie you’re going to have to see for yourself. What I’ve realized is that with every Disney movie, there’s always some sort of life lesson(s) (alongside just plain fun movie watching) to learn from them, something you may not have noticed when you were younger. In the end, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll never be too old for Disney princess movies. Never.

Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!