Transitioning into Fall Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I am way too excited that fall is almost here!  Now that October has come, I am more excited for the leaves changing and all of the awesome traditions that come with fall.  So in light of the beautiful weather Rhodes has been experiencing as of late, I decided to put together a list of fall trends that everyone should be looking out for in the next few weeks.  Under every trend I have two pictures to describe it; one of them is an example of the trend from New York Fashion Week 2014, and the other is a more attainable version of the same trend.  Here we go!

Textures

Knit has become a very popular trend this fall, not only because of its warmth, but also because of its texture.  Cable knits are an especially big trend this fall, but any kind of knit could be considered subscribing to this trend.  They are also a great way to make a fancier dress or skirt more casual and laid back.

Knit sweaters are a great way to transition summery skirts or dresses into fall because of their texture.  No matter what print your bottoms are, the knit automatically tones your whole outfit down and makes it fall appropriate, while also keeping you super warm.

Leather is another texture that is making a comeback this fall.  Leather is definitely more of a timeless material when used correctly, but it is especially popular this year in the form of almost any item of clothing.  Wearing leather is a great way to give an outfit some edge without being too extreme, especially if the leather is black.

If you’re looking to spice up your wardrobe with some leather but don’t want to overkill it, just try a simple leather jacket.  My favorite style of leather jacket is similar to the one worn by Alexa Chung in the bottom photo.  The cropped fit makes it look more like a bomber jacket without all the extra fabric, and the large floppy collar gives it a more casual vibe instead of being too dressy.

Fur is the last texture trend for this fall.  The texture of the fur brings warmth to an outfit both physically and aesthetically in a similar way that knit does.  When most people think of fur, they get very nervous because it is very hard to wear correctly.  However, most fur is fairly easy to pull off depending on the cut and the color of it. 

Different cuts of fur coats work for different body types, but generally you should look for one that is simultaneously not super oversized but not super tailored and form-fitting.  Similarly to most bold pieces of clothing, getting a neutral colored fur coat is the most fool-proof way to go because it will not look as crazy and the texture may be somewhat muted.

Styling

Contrary to the other trends that have been listed thus far, geometric and bright prints are a big trend for this fall.  Wearing brightly colored sweaters, cardigans, skirts, or dresses either layered with more neutral pieces or all at once was a huge trend at New York Fashion Week this fall.  The combination of bright colors with more geometric and abstract prints is also a popular trend for this fall. 

A great way to wear more complex prints and colors without going overboard is wearing a print that is fairly uniform, like the sweater being worn by the girl in the bottom photo.  Whether the print is large or small it will look less obtrusive and loud because of the repetition of a similar motif.  She is also wearing bright colors within the same color family, which tones down the boldness of the colors.

Extra-long coats have surfaced as a big trend this fall.  Oversize coats have been popular in the past, but this fall’s trend is more focused on length rather than the size. This style of coat is very versatile and much warmer than the average coat because of its length.

Styling coats is very similar to styling furs.  A sure-fire way of buying an oversized coat that fits well is to buy a little bit larger so it is easier to layer chunkier knits underneath, but not something so big that the shoulders sag.  The length depends on your personal taste, but, according to this trend, the longer the better!

One trend that is fairly new to the fashion community is what Vogue Magazine calls “aspen chic.”  Aspen chic usually consists of warmer, darker, vibrant colors mixed with neutrals in warmer textured clothing such as wool, alpaca, or thermal clothing like flannels.  A lot of stereotypical Christmas sweaters have a similar pattern to what would be considered aspen chic, like the girl’s sweater in the bottom photo.  Fur is also included in this trend as an accent texture.

Most clothing items that would be considered aspen chic are fairly casual and extremely warm, so these would mostly be worn in the late fall-early winter stage of the year.  The general purpose of a style like aspen chic is to bring more vibrant color into fall and winter fashion while still maintaining the darker tones of the colors usually associated with the season.

All of these trends were found by combining different trend lists from websites like Lucky, Vogue, Vogue Paris, and Harper’s Bazaar.  Although these will most likely be trends sported more often on runways and in couture fashion, more practical versions of these trends can also be seen in everyday life, including on a college campus like Rhodes!  Hopefully this gave you some inspiration for clothing choices for this coming fall.

And remember, always be cute!

Hi! I'm Sarah Johnson, and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rhodes! I am a senior at Rhodes from Little Rock, AR. I am a Music major, I am a Research and Writing Fellow in the Curb Institute and I sing in the Women's Chorus. In my spare time I like to sleep, eat various snack foods, and watch beauty bloggers on YouTube. My main area of expertise is fashion. My personal style is definitely on the hip side of things, and my pattern of choice is stripes. Thirfting is my number one passion, and I hope to never pay full price for an item of clothing until I can actually afford it. I’ve recently noticed that I almost exclusively wear neutrals, which I am trying to remedy with the purchase of color, but it’s not working very well for me. I hope you all enjoy the articles I write and remember to always be cute!