This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Well, it’s that time of the year—the time February 14 rolls around—and we all know what that means. It’s the day Oregon became the 33rd state to be admitted in the United States back in 1859. Monumental. Welcome, Oregon.

But—it also means that it’s Valentine’s Day, which is equally as exciting. Whether you’re planning on celebrating with your significant other, your BFFs, your cat, or a menagerie of household items that may be situated around the room where you tend to watch movies, you probably want to watch a juicy film that will stir the hopeless romantic deep inside of you. It’s the one day of the year dedicated to lOvEEeEEe, so may as well embrace it, right?

So, that being said, I have compiled a short list of popular romantic movies, in no particular order, that you may want to indulge in on Valentine’s Day this year. Commentary included, of course. Also, there are probably going to be a few spoilers—my sincerest apologies.

The Notebook

Although this is not a personal favorite*, I felt obligated to include it by popular demand. I mean, I’ve never understood it—Noah and Allie just fall asleep next to each other at the end, right? What’s the big deal?

Kidding.

I guess this movie is pretty romantic. A couple of young’ins falling in love during the 1940s and pretending to be birds (“if you’re a bird, I’m a bird”…excuse me while I go throw up) and frolicking in the frothy waves of a dark ocean on a cloudy day. Not beach weather, if you ask me, but to each his own.  

Heartstrings get pulled because this movie is a frame narrative of Noah and Allie all grown up…ah, no, they’re not grown up, they’re ancient. Regardless, their love is still going strong; Noah reads Allie “stories” of their love, which is kind of sweet because she has Alzheimer’s and doesn’t exactly remember their love story.

So I admit that’s a nice sentiment, but that doesn’t make me forget the part where Ryan Gosling recklessly climbs a moving Ferris wheel to charm a girl he doesn’t even know—a very normal, characteristic reaction of today’s male youth when they see a pretty girl. I’m beginning to yawn, so you’ll have to watch it yourself for more details.

*I hate this movie with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

Leap Year

This movie is the epitome of predictability, but it is a bit of a dark horse when it comes to romance movies—was I the only one who saw it in theaters? Anyway, Amy Adams has been dating her fancy shmancy cardiologist boyfriend for basically forever and he won’t propose, so she acts upon an old Irish tradition and schemes to propose to him. Gutsy, am I right?

But then tall, dark, and handsome Declan comes into the picture and that is quite the game-changer. He’s bitter, stubborn, delightfully sarcastic…and Amy Adams hates him. But no worries—they go on a journey together across Ireland because he ends up being the only way she can get to Dublin (where loser boyfriend is) due to a series of unfortunate travelling instances.

Anyway, I’m sure you can figure out what happens by the time they get to Dublin. People change out in the wilderness. Cows, swooping views of Irish scenery, and monsoons all make appearances in this movie as well (in case you were curious).

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days

So this is undeniably a classic rom-com. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey both try to make the other fall in love with them in a 10-day time period, although neither of them know each other’s ulterior motives—imagine that! What a coincidence!

Except then Kate has to try to make Matthew break up with her for her magazine article and Matthew has to keep her around so he can win his bet, so you can see how that’s a dilemma. Kate becomes the ultimate clingy, annoying, dramatic girlfriend, but Matthew keeps sticking around, although he justifiably is going crazy. And then Kate goes home to meet his family in Staten Island and then—wait for it—they begin to form GENUINE, REAL, ACTUAL feelings for each other! You didn’t see that one coming? I didn’t either.

I won’t spoil the rest, but if you’re a girl and you haven’t seen this movie yet, you really should. It’s been out for 12 years. C’mon.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

This movie is probably a little more bearable for the gentlemen of this world who get roped into watching a rom-com on Valentine’s Day with their gals. That’s because Michael Scott—I mean, Steve Carell—is in this movie, and who doesn’t like the Office? And then so is Emma Stone, a.k.a. Gwen from Spiderman. Josh Groban also makes an appearance, but it’s a minor role, and maybe I only noticed because I’m low-key in love with him. Oh, Ryan Gosling is also in this movie—whoever that is. Right, ladies?

I don’t even know quite how to describe this movie without giving away the masterful interweaving of story lines—but I will say that it will likely blow your mind. It also proves that love is crazy and stupid, two adjectives that have never been used to describe the ups and downs of romance, so let us all thank Warner Bros for this novelty.

I actually really do like this movie, though. Watch it.

The Proposal

Lastly, the Proposal. This is another movie I feel like guys have to like to because it’s just flat-out funny. Still a predictable rom-com, but funny.

Sandra Bullock is the Queen B equivalent of the Hollywood scene, in my opinion, and she kills it in this movie. Ryan Reynolds (shout out to he and Blake Lively’s baby, a.k.a. the most attractive human being who will ever walk this planet) also stars in this movie—as an aspiring editor! So intelligent. Snaps for Ryan.

Except for the fact that his boss Sandra Bullock is a workaholic wicked witch of the west (was that enough alliteration?). She manipulates him into pretending to be her fiancé so she doesn’t get deported back to Canada. Of course, this leads to all sorts of shenanigans, like a nice little trip up to Alaska to meet (deceive) Ryan’s family. Because that’s where Ryan is from, naturally.

Anyway, this movie is a gem. Also included: puppies named Kevin and Betty White participating in a tribal ritual.