Taylor LaPorte: Project Manager for CODA’s Exhibition Momentum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

For Taylor LaPorte, a Sophomore student at Rhodes, Art is not only a hobby but an integral part of her life. This is because she is part of an organization called CODA, or the Center for Outreach in the Development of the Arts. Taylor discovered this program during her last semester in high school. Having received an e-mail from the CODA Director, Liz Dagget, she decided to apply and soon found herself getting ready to come to Rhodes.

Through CODA, Taylor says she has been able to “experience things I would have never imagined and grow as a person.” In the two years Taylor has been with CODA, she has been able to do art with children at Cypress middle school, attend the More Than Art service initiative, help to create the Sound out for Syria Benefit, aid in managing Exhibition Momentum, help with National Eating Disorder Awareness Month, and has been given the opportunity to travel to L.A. and Seattle. Of these many opportunities Taylor observes that “being a member of CODA means the adventures never stop.” 

This year Taylor has been given a special opportunity because she has been dubbed the project manager for one of CODA’s biggest initiatives, Exhibition Momentum. Exhibition Momentum is an event put on by the CODA students at Rhodes College as an opportunity for 18-25 year olds in Memphis to show their art, be it performing arts or visual arts. Taylor states that the exhibition’s intention is to “show the abundance of young adults in Memphis who appreciate art,” something she personally regards as “a really great idea.” She goes on to say that CODA looks for a wide range of artists including students from U of M, MCA, CBU, Lemoyne-Owen College, and Rhodes.  The show is a great opportunity for artists who don’t have the means to show their art in a gallery. Taylor’s role in particular is to delegate what the rest of the CODA fellows do. She states, “I try to provide everyone with the knowledge of creating an event and the workings behind it, even though I am still learning throughout this process as well.” 

Taylor is very thankful for all of the opportunities being a CODA fellow has presented her with and expresses that she “truly believes CODA has made me a well-rounded person- not only am I going to Rhodes for my academics, but I am going to Rhodes to show the importance of art in the Memphis area.” Furthermore, she gives a great deal of credit to Liz Dagget, CODA director. She claims that “[Liz] always pushes us to do what we want, to help others, and to see the beauty in all things art related; without Liz, I do not think I would be able to pursue any of my dreams for CODA, because she gives us that jolt of energy and trust in ourselves to do what we want.” CODA as a whole has obviously had a major impact on Taylor, but she cannot help but acknowledge the driving force of the program, Liz Dagget.  Taylor continues, “there is no stopping her when it comes to her dreams, and that motivation impacts all of the CODA fellows and CODA itself.”

Taylor is living proof of what an impact art can have on an individual, and encouragement to anyone with artistic aspirations to seize them. If you are interested in checking out Exhibition Momentum and the great artists that will be featured, the event will be held on February 22nd. Further details can be found at http://www.facebook.com/events/413840002012599/?fref=ts 

Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!