Spring Sprucing: 5 DIY Dorm Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Ribbon of Lights

Hanging some festive lights around the window can spruce up a drab, dark dorm room.  Some colorful ribbons give an extra spark!  Just take a strand of Christmas lights and get some cheap ribbon from the craft store (how much you need will depend on the length of your light strand.) Cut the ribbon in 5-inch strips and tie around the strand of lights.  The best way to hang them is probably to use command clips.

Shirt Quilt

As college students, we have collected a surplus of T-shirts that we never wear, but still can’t bear to part with.  So cut them into squares and quilt them together to make a patchwork of memories.

Fabric Frame

Cover an old, ugly frame with fabric to give it new life!  Cut fabric into strips 2 inches wide.  Cover a section of the frame in Modge Podge and wrap a strip of fabric around it.  Once the whole frame is covered, you can put a layer of Modge Podge on top to give it a glossy look (or sparkly if you get sparkle Modge Podge!).  

Dry Erase Picture Frame

This is SO much cuter than a regular white dry erase board.  All you need is a picture frame and some fun decorative paper.  Just place the paper in the frame as if it was a picture and you can write on the glass with a dry erase marker!

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.