Shape-Up Rhodes: Stress Relieving Health Tips for Final Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

1.     Wake up early and take a 30-minute walk before studying- this will be a great stress reliever and will help you to focus better on your studying!

2.     When all else fails, take a nap.  You deserve it!  Your body is worn out and if you’re unable to focus from insomnia, taking a nap is your best bet.  Do not take more than a 2-hour nap.  It will mess up your sleep schedule big time.

3.     If it’s nice outside, go for a jog around campus.  Get some of your friends together over the weekend and plan a 30-minute time slot to go on a group run!

4.     Attend a yoga class off campus.  Midtown Yoga is a popular yoga destination with a variety of classes and times to choose from.  It is only $10s to attend your first class.

5.     Enjoy shopping?  Head to the mall with some buddies for a study break.  Don’t stay for too long, and focus on walking around the entire mall to get some quality exercise.

6.     Addicted to the elliptical or treadmill?  That’s great!  Keep it up, but don’t take your study materials with you.  Working out is supposed to be a BREAK from your schoolwork.  If you study while sweating it out on the treadmill, you will not really be giving your mind a break. 

7.     Create a study schedule for the week with breaks and meals included.  If you designate specific time slots for studying and for breaking, you’ll find it easier to stay on task. 

8.     Don’t pull an all-nighter!  Get sleep at night.  Late night, inefficient studying is not the key to doing well on exams.  Go to bed early, wake up at a reasonable hour, and study during the day.

9.     Stay hydrated!  Tervis Tumblers are a great way to carry around hot and cold drinks.  You can personalize them or add cute graphics!  Check them out here.

Good luck on exams!

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.