Remdawg’s Remblawg: Fratstar vs. Frathole

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

I’m currently sitting in my room on Halloween. I have a desire to neither trick nor treat tonight. Empty cans litter the scene and act as a reminder to a very pleasant and fun-filled homecoming weekend at Rhodes, and my head thumps like the SAE speakers.

My wonderings throughout the frat-lot on Saturday led me to several conclusions about the fraternity culture at Rhodes. Some kids know how to frat, and others just pretend to. To me, being a Rhodes fratstar is of conflict of identity, and there are very few individuals who can truly commit to or embrace the lifestyle fully due to academic or athletic restraints. However, tailgates are one such event in which everyone’s fratsires are manifested gloriously in a single day of punch and passion pit.

With that said, there is a way to do it right. It’s not a sprint, but a marathon; the sprinters standout early and are often the trouble-makers. They start fights, break stuff, and act like high schoolers at their first party. These individuals are embarrassing not only for our fraternity scene at Rhodes, but also are a threat to general safety. Sprinters are fratholes. They ruin everyone’s good time. 

Other notable differences between fratstars and fratholes are as follows:

• Fratstars have charm and the ability to stay out of trouble.
  • Fratstars never act as if it’s their first rodeo nor should they.
  • Fratholes ruin everything by becoming a liability and, more often than not, detract from a good time.
  • Fratstars have style and commands respect for their ability to maintain composure throughout days like homecoming.
  • Fratholes get people in trouble with their own stupidity.

With that said, homecoming seemed to be a good time for everyone. Most importantly though, there was enthusiasm for Rhodes and Rhodes athletics. However, it was hard to have the complete tailgate experience when half the fraternities were on probation and what not. But oh well, that’s Rhodes.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.