A Girl’s Guide to Tennessee Sports (NHL, NBA, NFL)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

You may be savvy with your hometown sports teams, but here’s a quick “who’s who” and “what’s what” of Tennessee sports. Even if you don’t know the difference between a punt and a bunt, you can at least pretend to. Put on your heels and skinny jeans and head to one of these games, because this year, Tennessee has some teams to keep an eye on.

Tennessee Titans (NFL)

Home Stadium: LP Field, Nashville, TN

Division: AFC South

Coach: Jeff Fisher

Last Season: Super Bowl ambitions were squelched after a disappointing 0-6 start to the season. Still managed to end the season at .500, and saw 6 players added to the Pro-Bowl roster.

Players to Remember:

• Vince Young #10: Quarterback, #3 first round pick in 2006 draft, two-time Pro Bowl selection (football’s all-star game equivalent)
  • Chris Johnson #28: Running Back, rushed over 2,000 yards last season (only the 6th player in NFL history to do so)
  • Michael Griffin #33: Safety, 2008 Pro-Bowler
  • Kenny Britt #18: Rookie Wide Receiver, fast, promising for 2010 season
  • Rob Bironas #2: Kicker (just ask some of the Rhodes students who have seen him downtown)

Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)

Grizzlies in 3 Words: physical, good rebounders, no depth

Home Court: Fed Ex Forum, Memphis, TN

Conference: Western Conference

Coach: Lionel Hollins

Last Season: Finished with a surprising 40-42 record after being thought one of the worst teams in the league.

Players to Remember

• OJ Mayo #32: Not an outstanding 2009-2010 career, but part of the Memph triumvirate, and a big part of the offensive unit. Looks to press hard this season.
  • Zach Randolph #50: Solid forward, so-so defender, traded from the LA Clippers last year, All-Star in 2010, averages 21 points per game
  • Rudy Gay #22: Signed 6th highest contract in the NBA this summer (6 yrs, $80 mil) And you thought Rashard Lewis was overpaid…Regardless, he’s an All-Star.
  • Marc Gasol #33: The next Larry Bird? No, it’s Pau Gasol’s younger brother. 
  • Tony Allen #9: Recent trade from the Boston Celtics, defended Kobe (very well) in the Finals 2010.

Nashville Predators (NHL)

Predators in 3 Words: Tenacious, deep bench, sometimes inconsistent

Last Season: Closed out the season with a 47-29-6 record, and squeezed their way into the playoffs, fell to Chicago in round 1 but put up a fight

Home Rink: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN

Division: Western Conference

Head Coach: Barry Trotz

Players to Remember

• Matt Lombardi #15: Forward, new addition for the 2010, scored 19 goals for Phoenix last season
  • Steve Sullivan #26: Forward, leading scorer
  • Shea Weber #8: Defender, captain, pretty underrated player considering his skill and size, played for the Canadian Olympic team in 2009, tallied 16 goals and 27 assists last season
Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.