Culinary Chronicles: Ice Cream Jell-O

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

This week I’ve chosen two Rites-themed recipes that can be made in your dorm room, with or without a kitchen. The first event of the weekend is Rites to Play, where I will be assisting children joyously fling themselves into a wall (Panhellenic is running the Velcro wall this year).

In the spirit of Rites to Play, my first recipe this week is for ice cream Jell-O. The first thing I remember making when I was little is Jell-O, and I love it now as much as I did back then. Adding ice cream only makes me love it more. So, before you run off to Rites of Play, embrace your inner-child and whip up some ice cream Jell-O!

Ingredients
1  pack of 6 oz Jell-O ( or 0.6 oz packet of  sugar free Jell-O) , any flavor. I like orange (it tastes like a creamsicle!) or lime (pictured).
1 pack unflavored gelatin (like Knox’s)
1 quart vanilla ice cream
4 cups water

Preperation:
1. If you have access to a kitchen…
Boil 4 cups of water. Once the water is boiling, turn the stove to medium heat and add the Jell-O and Knox and stir until dissolved. Once the mix is fully dissolved, turn the stove to low heat and add the ice cream. Stir until the ice cream is completely melted. Remove from heat and pour into a container that will fit in your refrigerator. Place in the freezer or refrigerator and let set. It will take overnight to set in the refrigerator, and a 2-3 hours to set in the freezer. As it sets, the ice cream will float to the top!

2. If you do not have a kitchen:
  Use a water heater or a coffee maker to boil 1 cup of water, pour into a bowl with the Jell-O/Knox mix.  Stir until dissolved, if the water cools down and the Jell-O is not fully dissolved, heat up one more cup of water and add it to the Jello-O mixture and stir until dissolved. Add the ice cream and heat up the rest of the water. Add the final 2 cups of water as needed until the ice cream melts. Pour the Jell-O—ice cream mixture into a clean container that will fit in your refrigerator. Let it sit in your fridge overnight until it sets.  As it sets, the ice cream will float to the top!

Photo credit: The Food Librarian

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.