courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Relationship Advice (That’s Not Just For Dating)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Alright ladies, here’s the scoop on how to catch a guy in three easy steps…just kidding! College is a unique time in life, and for you freshman this is your very first time away from home and living on your own. This means that you might go a little crazy in your own way; whether that means staying up until 4 in the morning binge watching your favorite show, going out for midnight milkshake runs with your gal pals, or falling in love with every cute guy who catches your eye on campus. Relationships are an important part of your college experience. You have the potential to make some of your closest, lifelong friendships here, and yes, maybe even meet the one. Friends: Step out of your comfort zone a little. Go to a party or event and try to meet some new people. Connections are what will save you during college. Friends are important to keep the stress levels down, help you with homework, give you food, or offer a shoulder to cry on. You need friends! Meeting new people is scary, but college events make it so easy. You already have a lot in common, so walk over and say hello!

Roomies: Having a circle of friends on campus is great, but what about your roommates? Maybe you picked your lifelong BFF as a roommate, or maybe you got stuck with a few complete strangers. Whatever your situation may be, make an effort to get to know your roommates. Be a good friend and roommate, and they probably will in return no matter how different you might be. You never know, one of these roomies could be your maid of honor one day. Schedule a fun outing to get to know your roommates better. Even if they are not your first pick of a person to live with, you are probably stuck with them for the year. So, make the most of it! Be courteous, do your chores, put others first, and don’t cause drama.

Boys: Alright, finally the part you’ve all been waiting for: the dating game. Freshman, I know it’s tempting to jump right at the first guy who might glance your way. However, I would strongly advise you to proceed with caution. If at all possible, wait until your sophomore year to begin a relationship. Your freshman year is foundational, and a lot of transitions are thrown your way. You will find that you grow in so many areas during your first year at college. Don’t rush into something that will turn into a disaster and cause heartache and drama all around. The type of boy you might be drawn to your freshman year will probably be very different from the type of man you get into a relationship with. Allow yourself to grow and enjoy being unattached as a freshman. Make friends! Guy friends are the best, seriously. Take the pressure off of yourself and the guys around you. When it’s supposed to happen, it will. 

Photo Credit: Cover, 1.

"Suffering passes, while love is eternal. That's a gift that you have received from God. Don't waste it.” - Laura Ingalls Wilder Ever since I can remember, I have always loved reading which eventually turned into a passion for creative writing. Although to date I have never been officially published, my goal is that one day I will be. My hope is that my writing will inspire, motivate, guide, and entertain readers. Even if my work touches only one person, I will feel content.  I love watching movies, traveling, hanging out with family and friends, and I am a major hockey fan (go Flyers!). Currently I am a college student, and by the grace of God will one day graduate. I love all things Lord of the Rings and Disney, love coffee and ice cream (or coffee ice cream), and going on adventures.