A summer on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

A summer on a budget
By: Callie Barkley

At this point in the semester I can assume that we are all thinking about summer. Unfortunately we wasted our hard earned cash at Toads and Acrop all year without thinking about how we would pay our way through the summer festivities.  This is the best times of our lives, being broke college students. Some of us may have jobs this summer or some of us may not but either way it doesn’t hurt to be on a budget!  So, here are some suggestions on how to save money and even how to make money this summer!

Nice weather brings great beach days, but with high gas prices and ridiculous parking costs what is the best thing to do? Most states near the water have state beaches with discounted parking prices for instate residents. If you aren’t near the water or don’t want to deal with the $4,500 per gal price for gas then buy a baby pool! Set up a mini beach in your background, invite some friends over, make some margaritas, and create your own beach day right in your back yard!

Do some summer cleaning by cleansing your closet. Not only will you burn calories cleaning but you will make room for new clothing! Bring your old clothing to Plato’s closet and make easy extra cash on the spot.  

There is nothing like a baseball game on a cool summer night. Many towns have summer leagues and usually have games under the lights on evenings during the week. Stop by a game to enjoy the summer nights with your friends and the view on the field isn’t too bad either.

Have a dog?  Go to the dog park! Spend some quality time with your pup while getting a bit of exercise by bringing your dog to your local dog park!

Want to go shopping? Only shop the clearance racks this summer. Searching for deals on the clearance rack is an exhilarating feeling plus you get new clothes at cheap prices!

Groupon is a program where you get discounted coupons for local businesses. Get the best deals at all the local places around you including salons, restaurants, and other local businesses.

Take up gardening , not only will you feel accomplished for doing something for the environment but you also get to eat what you grow, saving you money and becoming one with your environment. Hello Mother Nature!

Surviving on a budget this summer could be easier than going on a diet. There are endless options of fun that are cheap and sometimes even free, take advantage of them and have a great summer!

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!
Tia Meyers

Quinnipiac

Tia is a senior public relations and marketing major at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys singing, kayaking, cooking, travelling, and dance. She is an only child and it has made her a very outgoing young woman. Tia’s motto is “you can’t be old and wise if you’re never young and crazy” and believes that you should be a person to look up to, always be true to yourself and to try anything and everything you can. Tia loves to watch tv and read, her favorite show is New Girl and her favorite book is “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. Tia is addicted to Dunkin Donuts coffee, rings, peanut butter and the beach.