Satisfyingly Healthy Late Night Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Let’s get over the myth that eating late at night will cause you to put on weight.

It’s not about what time you eat, but what you eat.  Your body doesn’t say, “It’s late…time to pack on those pounds.”  And let’s be honest, we’re all guilty of indulging in the unhealthiest foods late at night.  Papa Johns, Goldstar, Droogies—the list goes on!

When all your work is piling up, it seems like you have no choice but to stay up late.  And you know what that means…munching!

Don’t be discouraged, though, because it’s possible to eat late at night and be guilt free with these yummy foods:

String Cheese: Not only are these low in calories (ranging from 80 to 100 per serving) but they are so darn good!  Pair them with wholegrain crackers or even a slice of wholegrain bread.

Banana slices and peanut butter (or nutella) on wheat bread: Who says you can’t be creative with late night snacks?  About a tablespoon of spread on the bread is more than enough to make your tummy smile!  Not a bread lover?  Quaker Rice Cakes can serve as the perfect replacement.

Chocolate covered almonds: When that sweet tooth kicks in, you may find yourself heading to the vending machine to grab candy.  Not only will that not satisfy your cravings, but you have just added empty calories to your diet.  With chocolate covered almonds, you are getting the sweetness you want along with the nutrients in the almonds.  Eating half a handful of these guys will make you feel guiltless and satisified!

Pretzels and peanut butter: This has honestly become my addiction this semester.  Combining salty and sweet is a great way to satisfy late night cravings.  But don’t go too crazy and end up eating an entire jar of peanut butter.  Instead, opt for a handful of pretzels and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.

Hummus: Hummus tastes good with just about anything.  Put about a tablespoon on a slice of wheat bread or even dip a few pretzels or rice cakes into them to switch things up.

Remember to eat these foods in moderation, especially late at night.  You wouldn’t want to go to bed thinking about the fact that perhaps you ate too many chocolate covered almonds.

Snack well, Collegiates!

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!