Miss Mixtape’s Band of the Week: City and Colour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Welcome back lovelies!
 I hope your breaks were busy and fun filled! Of course, when I say “fun-filled” I really mean, I hope you finally caught up on sleep and ditched those abnormal super scholar sleep schedules.  Now that you are back in the funk, let’s listen to some tunes, shall we?
Band of the Week: City and Colour
 I want you to think of the most crowded city in winter time. Think about the people on the street walking past a man with a beard singing his heart out with an acoustic guitar in his gloved hands. Now think of that man with sleeves of tattoos, thick rimmed glasses and screamo front man demeanor and you got yourself my band of the week; City and Colour.
Who They Are
The ex- front man of Canadian screamo band Alexisonfire, Dallas Green, stripped bare and acoustic for his solo career.  Far different from his previous work, Green’s project is far from the angsty screamo he used to be associated with in .  The sound is mellow, but does not lack the passion and heart his former band once possessed. Although this may be the Band of the Week, City and Colour is far from being a break out artist. In 2005, nearly 7 years ago, he released his first album Sometimes, followed by Bring Me Your Love in 2008. His new album, Little Hell,  keeps his love for acoustic, but does not disregard the heavy roots he came from. Songs like Hope For Now, Sorrowing Man and Weightless have a heavier instrumental bite that resembles alternative country and heart-felt indie..

Why You Should Listen to Them
Green’s sound is like a seasoned troubadour; Complete with harmonicas, tambourines and bluesy vocals. Although the sound is soft, the lyrics always pack heartfelt and sometimes painful punch. City and Colour is the epitome of “easy listening”; no, not like Kenny G or elevator jazz, but music you put on to feel a little bit more comfy, where ever you may be. Music you listen to after a long crazy night of clubs and partying or exams and studying. During the breaks, I often take the train to New York City to meet up with my best friend. I am not a city person, so the idea of crowded trains, speedy taxis and people who don’t say excuse me; scare the crap out of me. Whenever I am on the train or the subway, I always listen to City and Colour. Not only does it calm me down, it makes me feel like I am in a place less hectic.  The music is simple, which doesn’t necessarily mean bad or uncreative, in fact, it means the opposite. I feel so many people disregard raw, heartfelt music, much like the music Dallas Green makes. But I often wonder what is so terrible about a man and his guitar? Why do we need all that extra noise? City and Colour is raw, without the frills or the image.  Perhaps I am digressing, but all I know is that when I listen to City and Colour, I feel comforted and not many artists could do that.

When You Should Listen to Him

• On the train.
  • On snow days.
  • When you are feeling cuddly, but have no one to cuddle with.
  • Studying.
  • After a break up.
  • With your cat!
  • When you are on the train/the bus.
  • When you don’t want to hear anyone else.

Your Mixtape: Suggest Tracks

Originals: Sensible Heart, Coming Home, Hope for now, Confessions, The Girl, Weightless,  Casey’s Song, and O’ sister
Covers: Love Don’t Live Here Anymore-Rose Royce , Hometown Glory-Adele

Linkage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCd7tBLoGHM
http://cityandcolour.ca/
http://www.myspace.com/dallasgreen

Tia Meyers

Quinnipiac

Tia is a senior public relations and marketing major at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys singing, kayaking, cooking, travelling, and dance. She is an only child and it has made her a very outgoing young woman. Tia’s motto is “you can’t be old and wise if you’re never young and crazy” and believes that you should be a person to look up to, always be true to yourself and to try anything and everything you can. Tia loves to watch tv and read, her favorite show is New Girl and her favorite book is “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. Tia is addicted to Dunkin Donuts coffee, rings, peanut butter and the beach.