Love Every Day Like Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Each Thanksgiving, my grandfather proclaims, “Thanksgiving is everyday!”  The table laughs through our mashed-potato-filled mouths, but we all agree – our appreciation for the amazing people and things we are fortunate enough to have in our lives should be on display year-round.  Similarly, our love for those around us should not be limited to one day a year.  To preface this article: I am, happily, in a relationship.  Regardless, I am not someone who has ever cursed Valentine’s Day, deeming it a ‘product of Hallmark.’  I’m that girl who wears red just because it’s Valentine’s Day and hands out valentines with cartoon characters to all of my friends.

But something seems off about seriously celebrating February 14.  I love the funny stuffed animals in the stores and I love love, but my loved ones are appreciated by me each and every day.  If we go all-out on Valentine’s Day, does that mean we’re exempt from showing as much affection the other 364 days of the year? Let’s be real, though – most girls, even those who agree with my sentiments, would most likely have a conniption if their significant other threw Valentine’s Day to the wayside.  So how can we make this Valentine’s Day a celebration of what we have rather than a taxing, obligatory display of affection without going so far as to have Valentine’s dinner in the cafe (though the York Hill pizza is my favorite)?  

Put Some Thought Behind it 
Would I love to see a blue Tiffany’s box on Valentine’s Day?  Boyfriend, if you’re reading, take note – who wouldn’t?!  But the best kinds of Valentine’s Day gifts are those that have sentimental value.  Make something, burn a CD of your favorite songs, make a scrapbook highlighting fun moments in your relationship thus far – just make it special.  Fancy and expensive gifts are nice, but the thought behind the gift is always the most important part.

Don’t Forget About the Other Loves of Your Lives
When we think of Valentine’s Day, we often picture cupid and couples.  What about all the other people you love?!  Make sure you let your friends and family know just how much they mean to you – make some old-fashioned valentines out of construction paper with your roommates, go to the Valentine’s Day events sponsored by SPB and QUAD with your friends, and make sure to call home and tell your family you love them!

Remember to Show it During the Rest of the Year
The idea of New Year resolutions is still buzzing around at this time of year, and what better resolution than to show more appreciation for those you love year-round?!  This doesn’t mean we’re expected to give out candy and gifts to our loved ones every day – but there are simple ways to show people you care.  Make more of an effort to call your mom, go to your friend’s intramural volleyball game, and have more date nights!

Have a great Valentine’s Day, Bobcats!  Just don’t forget to show the love after February 14th!

Photo Sources: WeHeartIt.comSkipToMyLou.org

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.