Easy Ways to Improve Your Résumé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

It’s never too early (or too late!) to apply for that internship or job of your dreams.  But it’s crucial to go into the application process prepared.  And because it is the first thing your future employer looks at, your résumé is a very important element.

Here are some simple ways to make sure that your achievements and goals are best represented on paper.

Clean Layout

Make sure your résumé looks as clean as possible.  Use clear titles and a simplistic design.  Sure, there are some interesting and fun templates on the Internet, but it’s unlikely that a résumé bursting with color is going to score you a job at a professional law office.

Be Descriptive

It’s great that you’ve done an internship at a company similar to the one you’re applying to, but employers really want to know what you can offer them.  So instead of just listing the jobs you’ve had, describe the skills that you could bring to your next job.

Power Words

Do you find yourself reading an article and a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious word sticks out?  There are a couple of “power words” that will stick out to employers, so pick a few from the list below to sprinkle in your résumé:

·      Trained

·      Built

·      Project

·      Managed

·      Year

·      Strengthened

·      Directed

·      Projected

·      Oversaw

·      Adapted

·      Initiated

·      Problem solving

·      Organized

One Page

Most importantly: keep your résumé to one page!  The person that is reading it probably has to read many more that same day.  Boring them with pages upon pages might jeopardize your chances at getting the job.  So fine-tune your résumé so that the skills you list pertain to the job that you are applying for.

You are now more than prepared to hear the words “you’re hired.”  Good luck in your job or internship hunt, collegiettes!

Janine Jay

Quinnipiac

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!