5 Fun Fall Activities Around CT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Are you bored of doing the same thing (Toad’s, hangovers, and homework) every weekend? Not to worry; there are many different fun fall activities in the Hamden area that will keep you busy this month. From haunted walks to peaceful bike trails, there’s something for everyone.

1. Trail of Terror: If you love being scared, this hour-long haunted trail in Wallingford is great weekend activity to do with your roommates and friends. General admission for the trail is $15 and timed tickets which guarantee admission are $20. The profits all go to charity and all of the workers are volunteers which is all the more reason to go! The various scenes and all of the work and art involved is extremely impressive. This spooky trail will definitely keep you on your toes and maybe even on your hands and knees at some points!

2. Lyman Orchards: This massive orchard with beautiful autumn scenery is located in Middlefield and is a perfect fall getaway for families and friends. It offers a variety of pick-your-own fruits, including apples and pears, as well as pick-your-own pumpkins. There is also a corn maize and a store called the Apple Barrel which sells delicious, fresh cider donuts and pies as well as fresh produce among many other products.

3. Farmington Canal Heritage Greenway: The brisk fall weather presents a perfect opportunity for a scenic bike ride or walk on this 84-mile trail that runs from New Haven to Northampton, Massachusetts. The trail includes colorful foliage, bridges and streams and you can access it on Sherman Ave right across from the York Hill campus. Whether you walk for one mile or bike for twelve, it is a fun way to spend the day!

4. Hike the Sleeping Giant: Although it is a year-round activity, hiking the Giant is especially beautiful in the fall. The leaves are all different colors and the view from the top is spectacular. If you want an easy, gradual hike, you can go on the Tower Trail which overlooks parts of Connecticut, or if you are looking for more of a challenge, you can hike the violet trail which overlooks the Quinnipiac campus.

5. The Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce: If you love the adrenaline rush of frightening scenes and thrilling rides, you have to go to Lake Compounce in Bristol. A combo ticket for the graveyard and rides is $22.99 and coupons are available on their site. There are several different scares including a corn field, slaughter house and cemetery. In addition there are many rides including a pirate ship, Sky Coaster and Wave Swinger. If you are looking for a fun activity to do with your friends on a weekend night, think of going to Lake Compounce!

Whether you like to exercise or enjoy a night full of creepy characters, Connecticut has it all. Fall is such a beautiful and eventful time of year, so be sure to go take advantage of all the festivities and activities in the area!

I am a student at Quinnipiac University and an aspiring magazine writer/editor.