12 Types of People You See at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. The Basic Girl

This girl can be found doing ab crunches, burpees, air squats and exercises of the like. She’s slim, sports a high ponytail and cares most about getting a firm butt and a toned tummy.

2. The Texter

This guy/girl spends half their time sat at a machine working out their fingers. A break between sets ends up being a lifetime scrolling through Instagram, unanswered Facebook messenger messages, and telling everyone who asks that they have 4-5 sets left.

3. The girl/guy who’s starting their fitness journey

This guy/girl is sweaty and dedicated. They can be found hopping from machine to machine doing countless sets and reps. They’re ready to do anything and everything at the gym to get fit and regular gym goers are constantly curious about their progress.

4. The Obnoxiously Loud Social Butterfly

This guy/girl is bound to know at least five people there every single time they go to the gym. They can be found striking up different conversations with different people, often about what they’re training that day or what crazy stuff happened to them over the weekend. He/she high-fives their friends, trainers, and new “homies” all the time.

5. The Grunter

This guy/girl is often lifting some sort of heavy weight. All you can hear is the echoes of this person making loud grunting noises between reps, and the weights being smashed into the floor like he/she has a grudge against them.

6. The Creep

Is this person looking at you? Or the girl behind you? Or the guy behind you? You don’t know. What you know is that if this person is looking at you, it’s creeping you out. You can’t continue on like this. You’re just trying to get through your work out in the middle of the week so you can go home and take a hot shower. You get to the free weight area… HE’S THERE…You get to the cable machines…HOW DID SHE END UP HERE?

7. The Girl Group

This group of girls is super chatty, talking about what exercise they’re going to do next together. Often this group is composed of multiple basic girls, except they take up half the free weight area with multiple sets of dumbbells and benches and you find yourself thinking: “Where am I supposed to work out?” They stand in the same spot in front of the mirror and swear they’re using all the equipment while doing multiple different exercises.

8. The person who doesn’t know what they’re doing

This person is found lurking around looking for something to do, and when they do you think: “Hmm… I’m pretty sure that isn’t a real exercise.” By hey, at least they’re trying!

9. The Fit Girl

Her leggings are on point and her body is too! This is the girl you aspire to be – strong and aesthetic. She looks flawless and does the coolest workouts ever. She’s a mystery; she does her thing, leaves the gym and motivates guys and girls to work out harder.

10. The Fit Guy

For some reason this guy’s hair, outfit, and form are all on point. He’s lifting tons of weight with perfect form and his presence is only slightly overwhelming. You assume that his Instagram is “(insert his full name here)fitness” and is comprised of multiple protein shake pictures and shirtless pictures of himself with hashtags like #sunsoutgunsout.

11. The Couple

Could you say PDA? This couple works out together and gives each other little kisses in between sets and you find yourself rushing through your workout because you don’t want to feel like a third-wheel any longer. Their only workout goal seems to be “get quality time with ‘bae.”

12. The Ninja Warrior

He’s really into calisthenics – push-ups, pull-ups, crazy variations of these exercises and stuff you’ve never even seen before. He’s doing pull-ups swinging around like a monkey and seems to be training for some sort of Tarzan adventure in the forest. You’re distracted, but fascinated.

Chloe likes freaking out over dogs on the street, eating, traveling, and lifting more than your boyfriend.