Life of a New York City Intern: Entry 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The weekend of June 24thwas a monumental weekend in New York. It was an amazing feeling to be in the city when the news was announced. New York had finally said “yes” to gay marriage.

It came at a perfect time. The news was revealed on a Friday night, during NYC Pride Week. The Empire State Building was lit up in an array of rainbow colors celebrating the gay population of its beloved city.

Everyone has seen the infamous American Apparel “Legalize Gay” t-shirts and the iconic gay pride rainbow flags, but I have never in my life seen them to such an extent as I did that weekend.

The streets were flooded with happy and proud supporters flaunting their rainbow flags. #NYCPride was a Trending Topic on Twitter all weekend, and even celebrities like Lady Gaga were on Twitter to speak words of happiness and achievement when the ruling was passed. Mother Monster went to Twitter saying, “The revolution is ours to fight for love, justice + equality. Rejoice NY, and propose. We did it!!!”

Rejoice they did! Sunday marked the day for the New York City Gay Pride Parade. Of course, being here for the summer, and New York legalizing gay marriage just days before the event, it was one I knew I should not miss.

The parade was supposed to start at noon, so at 12 on the dot I headed down 31st over to 5th Avenue so I could enjoy the sites and indulge in celebrating the gay and lesbian community of New York City.

It was legitimately the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. I have never seen so many people marching and standing proud. Proud to be exactly who they are, with no insecurities, just embracing themselves and celebrating the achievements they have made.

I saw members of the NYPD, the New York Fire Department and even the NYC EMT’s marching together, in uniform, holding hands with their partners. I saw regular teenagers waving their flags proudly, and even old men and women walking the streets with a joyous smile on their face.

Despite the vast amount of revealing outfits, chiseled-bodied gays donned in Speedos, and women walking topless, there is one thing about that parade that stood out to me. Just one thing that I know I will remember for the rest of my life.

It was a bicycle drawn carriage; slowly making it’s way down the street. In the back of the carriage were two very old men, holding hands and smiling and waving. They were holding a brightly colored sign that, from my view, I could not read. It made me happy to see them so exuberantly content.

And as the carriage slowly pulled away, I saw another sign on the back, in the same brightly colored pattern that was on the front. I could finally read it. “Together 54 Years.”

Yesterday, July 24th, 2011, was the first day that the ruling has been in effect. Approximately 850 people have applied to be married today, the first day they can legally marry in New York City.

How wonderful is it that after 54 years of loving one another, this couple in the bicycle drawn carriage, that has been together for over half of a century, can finally pledge their love to one another in a legal marriage? It warms my heart. Love: it is a beautiful thing.

HC Xo!

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.
Amanda Norell is a junior at Purdue University where she is working toward a communication degree, supplemented by an art and design minor. A true Midwesterner, Amanda was born in Chicago and raised in northern Indiana, just minutes from the Michigan border. In addition to being Purdue's Campus Correspondent, Amanda is also a junior board member on Liberal Arts Student Council, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and has both edited and written for The Exponent, Purdue's independent daily student newspaper.  She has held internships in both event planning and career development, and has her sights set on becoming an event and wedding planner after graduation. She cannot get enough of campus in the fall, crepes from Greyhouse, Urban Outfitters, and simply lovin' life.