This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Okay Netflix and Twitter, you got me.

Anyone who knows me knows that I like scary movies. I would even say that I love them. I don’t know why, but the rush of adrenaline that I get from not knowing what will happen is just a great way to feed the thrill seeker inside of me. However, scary movies aren’t the only things I watch, I actually like almost every other genre of movie. And, just like any other college student, Netflix is my best friend when it comes to watching movies.

Now, I will say that Netflix has kind of disappointed me when it comes to the horror department. The movies that I’ve found have just not been up to par. I like the jump-scares and the whole “what’s going to happen, am I going to pee my pants” kind of questioning. And when I was scrolling through Twitter and saw an article for Netflix’s scariest horror movie, I knew I had to see what the hype was.

The movie is called Verónica and it is set in Madrid in 1991 and focuses on a girl named Verónica who uses a Ouija board to contact her late father. But, what she contacts is something much more sinister than she thought.

According to Twitter, Verónica had scared people into turning it off halfway through. And this got me wondering, could Netflix really have made the scariest horror movie? I was determined to find out.

The first thing that I will say about the movie is that it was entirely in Spanish, which wasn’t surprising since the whole story is set in Madrid. I thought it was very interesting to see how different a Spanish horror movie was from what I was used to watching. And I will say that the entire film was beautifully done but…it wasn’t exactly the scariest movie I’ve ever watched.

Twitter, you got me. You fooled me into thinking that someone had actually made the scariest movie on Netflix. That’s what I get for believing the internet.

Sure it had some jump-scares here and there and the whole time the audience was questioning if what was happening was real or not, but the entire time I was watching I can honestly say that I wasn’t scared out my mind. It wasn’t anything I hadn’t seen before and it wasn’t something I would necessarily look back on and say, “Wow, that gave me nightmares.” But I will say that it was overall a really good movie and I would definitely recommend it to any fans of horror.

Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.