Essential Pieces Every Woman Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Being in college, you learn really quickly about ‘go-to’ pieces. Sometimes things come up whether it is a wedding, an interview, or a presentation. I have found a few essential items that I have felt are necessary to own not only for college, but also for your future endeavors. It will shock you how much use you will get out of these pieces!  I have looked up online some great websites and have found some wonderful pieces to help you get started. Happy shopping!!

1. The Perfect Black Dress: Nordstrom’s ‘Jersey Shift Dress’  $98
It’s important to find an appropriate black dress that you can get use out of for more than one event. Pair this dress under a jacket for work, or wear it on a nice date; you can always find a place to wear a little black dress. This particular dress from Nordstrom’s has beautiful embellishments and the ¾ sleeves make it perfect for all types of weather.

2. Fitted Dress Shirt: Express’s ‘Original Fit Essential Stretch Shirt’ $49

To me, it’s vital to have a nice dress shirt. They are great for speeches, interviews, and your future career. I personally think sticking to a basic white or blue is classic and looks great underneath a suit. This one from Express is wonderful because it provides stretch by having polyester and spandex as being apart of the fabric. I also think this one stands out because the fit is more tailored, which provides a nice slimming effect.

3. Basic Black Pumps: Kohl’s ‘Vera Wang Platform High Heels’ $49
I will say I had been looking around forever for a basic pair of black pumps. They pair perfectly with dress pants, a pencil skirt, or a nice dress. For your career or any other interviews, you want to make sure to find a plain shoe that is not too high. You have to consider that you may be on your feet all day and you won’t want to sport 5-inch platforms. I went to Kohl’s recently and they had a wide selection of basic black pumps. This particular pair by Vera Wang fit the bill perfectly!

Trench Coat: Gap’s ‘Pleated Trench Coat’ $98
I think a trench coat is extremely flattering and is good for an overcoat for work as well as a nice event. I personally love this pleated, tan trench coat you can find at Gap. It has a double-breasted front which folds nicely and adds a little flair. I also really like that belt that cinches at the waist as well as the buckles on each sleeve by the wrist.  This particular trench coat is fully lined which is a bonus as well.

Now that I have listed a few basic essentials, I hope it makes your shopping easier. Gap, The Loft, Express, Limited, & Nordstrom’s are great places to shop for these particular items. They provide a wide variety and have these basic essentials. If you haven’t started collecting these pieces now, I recommend you start so you are ready for when something comes up quickly! You will be all set and looking beautiful!

HCXO,

Brittany Cole

Sources:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/donna-morgan-fringe-detail-matte-jersey-shift-dress/3151243?origin=category&resultback=3573

http://www.express.com/original-fit-essential-stretch-shirt-38517-721/control/show/3/index.pro

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5739&vid=1&pid=894094

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.