Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Affoodability: Whoopie Pie

I’ve wanted to make whoopie pies for quite some time ... and was especially inspired by Starbucks' mini red velvet whoopie pie. I found a listed of suggested whoopie pie recipes on the kitchn and decided to use/adapt the food network's red velvet whoopie pie recipe. After reading the reviews I made a few slight adjustments.

Originally, I had the idea to make a batch of traditional chocolate and vanilla, homemade red velvet AND a batch of red velvet from premade mix. However, my first batch did not turn out as planned. And by that I mean I forgot to add the baking soda so they were really dense. Ooops. After the first whoopie pie debacle, I decided to redeem myself by making just the homemade red velvet version. I was happy I read over the reviews first and knew to sift the flour. The cookies were light and delicious. I was wanted to pay homage to the traditional recipe by adding marshmallow fluff to the filling. It turned out a little too sweet and not as fluffy as I wanted so I’ll have to experiment with different ratios for next time. Overall, though, quite a success! 

Here’s what you'll need...

Ingredients
For the cookies:

• 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 12 tablespoons of butter (1 stick & 1/2); melted
  • 2 large eggs (room temperature) 
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 1 ounce of semisweet chocolate; chopped
  • 1/2 ounce of milk chocolate; chopped 
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon of red food coloring
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 

For the filing: 

• 8 ounces cream cheese; room temperature 
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of marshmallow creme (fluff) 
  • 2 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar; sifted
  • 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped OR approx. a tablespoon of vanilla extract 

+ Parchment paper for the baking sheets. 

Cooking directions: 

• Preheat oven to 375F and line baking sheets with parchment paper
  • Whisk together melted butter, sour cream, eggs, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and food coloring in a large bowl until combined. 
  • Sift flour (SIFTING THE FLOUR IS KEY) in batches into a medium sized bowl; add sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. whisk until combined
  • Combine semisweet and milk chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50percent power until melted ... about 2 mins. whisk until smooth. (you could also use a double boiler)
  • Add flour mixture to butter mixture in four equal batches, incorporating each batch completely before adding the next then stir in melted chocolate. 
  • Scoop tablespoon-size dollops of batter onto baking sheet and smooth over the top of each with a damp finger. 
  • Bake until the cookies "spring" when lightly pressed about 10minutes
  • Let cool on baking sheets for 10minutes then transfer to racks to cool completely filling directions: 
  • Beat room temperature cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth 
  • Slowly add in sifted confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth, add in vanilla seeds OR vanilla extract (approx. 1 tablespoon)  
  • Add marshmallow fluff a tablespoon at a time, beating until smooth

Assembly: 

• Once cookies are COMPLETELY cooled, sandwich a heaping tablespoon of filling between two cookies
  • Refrigerate for no less than 30minutes before serving

... And enjoy! 

Fill out my online form.
You Might Also Like...