The Ultimate Study Abroad Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There’s so much to do and see while abroad, and it’s hard to narrow down what you want to do in the short time that you have. However, there are some “bucket list” items that you won’t want to miss. Here are 16 items that should be on your study abroad bucket list:

1. Skydiving

This seems like it’s on every typical bucket list, and for good reason – it’s a rare experience that doesn’t compare to anything else. So why not do it while you’re abroad? Skydiving over the Swiss Alps or the Amalfi Coast offers the best views you can imagine (while falling out of the sky, of course.) Your semester abroad is the perfect time to try something that may be scary, so challenge your fear of heights and take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

2. Cliff jumping

Staying on track with the “fear of heights” theme, here’s another way to challenge yourself. While on a hiking or whitewater rafting trip, it’s likely you’ll come across an area of cliffs that, for some reason, the locals love jumping off of. These two words alone scare me to death, but there’s no better time to face your fears. Ask around on your next adventure trip to find out if there’s an opportunity for cliff jumping – you won’t regret the adrenaline rush.

3. St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin

March 17th in Dublin looks like a scene out of a movie. The opportunity to celebrate the most fun holiday of the year in its home country doesn’t come around often. With the streets overflowing with people, endless amounts of green, and lots of Irish step dancing, this is a surreal day that you can be ~lucky~ enough to experience while abroad.

4. See cities from above

Any city you might visit has a tall building or landmark that you can get to the top of to see the entire city and its surroundings. The Duomo in Florence, the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, the Shard in London, the Astronomical Tower in Prague… the list goes on and on. No matter where you go, try to climb to the top of one of the well known landmarks, and see for yourself why it’s worth it.

5. Take a thermal bath 

The thermal baths in Budapest are different from anything you’ll experience on another trip (especially because a bath isn’t something you typically try to do while sightseeing, much less with other people.) But if you’re traveling in the winter, this is a perfect way to warm up for a while – and when else would bathing with a ton of strangers be so fun?

6. Hiking

This can be in Cinque Terre, the Amalfi Coast, Interlaken, Split – anywhere that offers amazing views from up above. There are lots of easy trails available if you’re not an avid hiker (trust me, I am NOT an avid hiker), and there’s something special about spending the time and effort to get an incredible view of a city and its surroundings. If hiking isn’t your thing and you don’t think it belongs on your itinerary, I would encourage you to reconsider  – it’s most definitely a bucket list item while studying abroad!

7. Leave your mark on the John Lennon Wall

Pack a can of spray paint or a Sharpie before you head to Prague, because you’re not going to want to pass the John Lennon wall and not leave your own mark on it! The wall is constantly changing with all of the additions made to it every day, so make sure to leave something that will stand out!

8. Camp out in the Sahara

Even if the thought of camping without electricity sounds scary, this really could be an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and therefore it belongs on your bucket list. If you’re lucky enough to visit Morocco, consider adding a camping trip to your itinerary – you’ll be glad you did once you’re lying under the stars, miles away from your comfort zone.

9. Visit your family’s country of origin

Whether your family is full-fledged Sicilian or your ancestors come from various countries in Eastern Europe, it’s humbling and special to go back to where you came from. If you have family still living there, meeting up with them is an incredible experience, and one that you can learn a ton from. You never know when there could be another opportunity to do so.

10. Eat a native food each place you go

You’re supposed to do as the locals do – and this means eating like them, too. Snails in Paris, paella in Spain, Pilsner in Prague, cheese in Switzerland – there’s nothing quite like it. Everything tastes better in its home country – you might even wind up with a separate food bucket list.

11. Take a gondola ride in Venice

It’s the best – and sometimes the only – way to navigate the convoluted, narrow streets of Venice. Grab an aperol spritz and a gondolier who’s willing to sing opera at the top of their lungs, and take the scenic route through one of the oldest and most stunning Italian cities.

12. Party until 5 a.m. in Barcelona

If you’re studying in Barcelona, you’ve probably learned how to do this already. But for those of you going for a visit, this is a challenge. Somehow, the Spaniards have become pros at eating dinner at 10 p.m. and then partying from two until five in the morning, but give it a try while you’re on their turf. Even if you regret it the next morning, you won’t in the long run.

13. Go to Oktoberfest/Springfest in Munich

How can you justify missing a weekend of oversized pretzels? The giant beers, lederhosen, and lively atmosphere in the tents all create an unforgettable weekend that deserves a spot on this bucket list. Prepare for lots of beer, lots of dancing, and no voice by the end of the weekend.

14. Watch the sunset in Santorini

You won’t even believe that such a view could be real. Everyone in the main town of Oia finds a good lookout spot and takes their seats to watch this natural wonder. If there are no clouds, you can see the entire ocean change color under the setting sun. And if you’re really lucky, you can catch the “blue hour,” which is when the white buildings glow bright blue for a few minutes once the sun is out of sight.

15. Make a wish in the Trevi Fountain

Lizzie McGuire impersonations aside, this is a natural fit for any study abroad bucket list. The Trevi Fountain is one of the must-see sights in Rome, but if you can fight through the crowds to get to the front and make a wish, it’s even better. Turn around, count to three, and throw your coin into the fountain – then wait for Paolo to show up.

16. Kiss a stranger under the Eiffel Tower

In the most romantic city in the world, under the symbol of romance, it’s not as hard to find the guts to ask a random passerby to do you this favor. Grab your photographer (friend with a camera), your new French friend, and cross off what is likely the most magical – and corny – bucket list item.

Becky Sorensen is a senior at Penn State, double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science. You can find her on campus with an iced coffee in one hand and an everything bagel in the other. Clear your schedule before asking her how she feels about the Harry Potter series, New York City, or about the next trip she’s planning - she tends to ramble. Loudly. You can follow her at @beckylalalaa on Twitter and @beckysorensen on Instagram for hilarious puns or her undying love for THON and Penn State football.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.