This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Between graduating from Penn State University and still finding time to navigate through the music industry, it’s been a busy year for our returning Campus Celebrity, rapper Tony Black. For those of you stuck in a rut and in need of a little creative inspiration or even those of you who need to mix up your pregame set list immediately (and you know who you are)… never fear! Tony’s back to give us some updates on his music career, including an upcoming album!

HC: What should Penn State know about your upcoming album? Are there any current projects you’re excited about?

TB: It’s finally finished is the main thing! I’ve been working on it for a little over a year now with my main producer Sean2 Miles and engineer Los who have become like family to me. The sounds that we have on this album pull from so many genres and have so much influence, but they’re done in a way that sounds so original. Over the next month or two I’m putting out a bunch of music and visuals that I feel people will really enjoy. I also have a music video for my new song “With Me” coming out very soon, so that is something to look forward to!

HC: Are there any other artists you would look forward to working with in the future?

TB: I’m not a traditional rapper in the sense that I’d want to work with other rappers. I’m very much into crossing genres and working with people that you wouldn’t really expect a rapper to work with. So I’d say someone like Sam Smith would be amazing. Alessia is crazy talented and she’s around my age so we have common interest. Coldplay or Mumford and Sons would also be surreal. 

But, if I had to pick some rappers, it would obviously be Drake, Kanye West, KYLE, G-Eazy and Bryson Tiller.

HC:  What’s the most challenging thing you face when working in the music industry?

TB: Exposure. A lot of people are trying to be rappers or singers, and it kind of waters down a lot of the content you hear because there may be 50 different people on your timeline that are promoting their most recent track. So, from an outsider’s perspective, it gets annoying, and you just ignore all of those posts. The hardest part is breaking through that wall of “just another rapper” and really giving fans and potential fans something to come back to. 

HC: What would be your dream venue/event to perform at and why?

TB: Headlining at Coachella or Outside Lands would be insane. Outside Lands especially because it’s in my backyard, basically. Hometown shows are always very special performances. Playing at the BJC would be crazy too. I’d even consider doing it for free when I’m at that point in my career. I’ve performed there once in 2012 for THON’s Got Talent, and I ended up playing at like 10 p.m. on the Friday of THON, so they were primetime hours in front of friends and family. Very cool. 

HC: Where’s your favorite destination that rapping has taken you to so far?

TB: Favorite destination I would say is Los Angeles, even though I live in California. Music has opened up doors to meet other incredibly talented artists that otherwise wouldn’t be possible. 

HC: You discussed your goals for the next few years, ranging from college tours to becoming a household name, in a previous Her Campus article. Now that you’ve graduated and are back on the West Coast full time, have your dreams shifted focus or changed in any way?

TB: My goals haven’t really changed much since graduation. But I do have a lot more freedom to utilize the studio and work with different video directors and what not. So it’s more pedal to the metal right now in trying to secure the success of my future.

HC: What do you miss the most about Happy Valley?

TB: The parties. The night life is unparalleled, and every day when I see snapchats of friends that still go there, I wish I could be back for a weekend. And of course game days in Happy Valley are incredible. 

HC: Will you be making a special appearance to State College anytime soon?

TB: I’m trying. I was supposed to come up for Homecoming, but those plans fell through because some album stuff got in the way, so I’m pushing for syllabus week next semester if I can’t swing the Michigan game this year. BUT… when I am out there, if anyone needs a performer or a DJ… email me! 

And we’re certainly looking forward to it, Tony.

Be sure to check Tony Black’s latest tracks or connect with him on social media. His information is listed below.

Email: tonyblackentertainment@gmail.com

Facebook: Tony Black Music

Twitter: @TonyBlack_Music

Instagram: TonyBlackMusic

Shannon Deuel is a sophomore at the Pennsylvania State University pursuing a double major in advirtising/public relations and integrative arts. Most of her time is spent using her creative eye to solve general visual and promotional problems implimented in her internships and student organizations. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Shannon is a public relations committee member of Penn State's Student Red Cross Club and the Lawrence G. Foster Chapter of PRSSA. She is also a virtual intern for College Fashionista and a photo intern for VUONG PR in State College. Her main areas of focus include photography, graphic design, and writing, to name a few, and she hopes to someday work as a creative director at a large advertising firm or in-house organization she can pour her passion into! Shannon plans on leaving the country for the first time next year to study abroad in Germany as well!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.